Thursday, July 29, 2010

Object of the Day: Antique Bristol Glass Lusters

Lusters (or lustres) were decorative objects displayed on sideboards, tables or mantles. Usually crafted of Bristol glass, colored glass, ceramic, or porcelain, the luster gets its name for the long, crystal spears which hang from the basin. Sometimes called “pedestal vases,” lusters weren’t actually used as vases nor were they used for candles. For the most part, the lusters’ purpose was purely decorative. Meant to be displayed in pairs as a garniture, lusters added a touch of sparkle to a room. Today, it’s not unusual to find a single luster. Very often, the set was broken up as estates changed hands or one was damaged or destroyed.


This pair of Bristol Glass lusters dates from the mid-Nineteenth Century. Certainly English, these lusters are painted with a geometric design of rose, purple and gold. One of the pair was clearly closer to a window than the other as evidenced by the slight fading of the paint on one side.

Very often, antique lusters found in antique shops today are missing crystals or have damaged crystals. While you want to find a set with all of its original spears intact, replacement crystal spears can be found at various lighting supply shops and Web sites such as ChandelierParts.com.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

Your lusters are beautiful. This is a quirky thing on my part ,but, when ever I see lusters I think of the old "I Love Lucy" show. Lucy and Ricky always had a pair of lusters sitting on their piano. (Just sharing-LOL )

Joseph Crisalli said...

How funny. I know just the lusters of which you speak. I always liked seeing them on Lucy's piano. Samantha Stephens had a single one (with, strangely, a plant in it) in her hallway around the time Dick York changed into Dick Sargent. I think these things subliminally colored my taste. I look back at films and shows that I always liked and notice set pieces that I have emulated and think to myself, "Oh, that's where I got that idea."