Thursday, July 22, 2010

Object of the Day: An Unusual Stickpin named Mollie

Meet Mollie. Mollie is a stickpin. I would say she’s from the early to mid-Nineteenth Century before stickpins became widely mass-produced. Mollie is one-of-a-kind. A large amethyst is surrounded in gold, and topped with acanthus leaves which support a diamond. On the central facet of the amethyst, the face of a Byzantine Empress is enameled and set (within the amethyst itself) with black and white seed pearls, rubies and diamonds. The detail of the enamel and gem-work is amazing. Reflective surfaces are difficult to photograph, so the pictures don’t do it justice.


I’ve been collecting stickpins for several years. Again, these fall in that very personal category of antiques. Objects that were worn by other people seem very special to me. Of course, the stickpin was used by a gentleman to hold the folds of his cravat (and later, necktie) in place. Stickpins were initially worn by upper class British men in the early Nineteenth century. Later, the trend caught on and stayed in vogue well into the 1930’s, later being replaced in fashion by tie bars. There’s something about stickpins that I just adore. I think it’s that they were very often figural, and the people that designed these pins were not afraid to be creative. I have been fortunate to find a good many interesting pins. Mollie is one of my favorites.

Mollie was named by Chris Enebo--the amazing jewelry dealer--from whom I purchased her. I promised she would retain her name, and so she has. Mollie has a good home with her other stickpin brothers and sisters. I wear mine occasionally though not in a tie. When I do wear one, I usually wear it in the lapel of my jacket.

Though increasingly difficult to find, stickpins are a great investment and a fun collectible. They’re also a great way to bring a little elegance and glamour into your life.

No comments: