Friday, July 23, 2010

Odd Antique Image for the Day: Head of John the Baptist

Study of the Head of John the Baptist
O.G. Rejlander, 1850's
I leave you on this Friday night with what strikes me as a very strange image.  I'm all for a nice picture of John the Baptist's decapitated head.  In fact, I've rather grown to enjoy them over the many years that I've looked at and studied religious artwork.  However, this one from the Royal Collection (also seen in the book I mention below) strikes me as particularly odd.  I think it's because it's a photograph, and, that's just...well, odd.  Still, it pleases me that in the 1850's  artists were trying to master the new art of photography, and that O.G. Rejlander took the time to stage this image and photograph it so lovingly.  It makes me want to take my iPhone and try to recreate this.  But, though equally strange, the result wouldn't be nearly as charming.  Always trying to make something pretty, those Victorians...even martyrdom.

Check out this Web page about the Royal Collection.  It's fascinating.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome picture!

Kathy L said...

There is something very intriguing about it. Odd, but intriguing.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Kathy, the two often go hand-in-hand. : )