Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Word of the Day: Pelmet

A pelmet is another word for a cornice.  These decorative features are hung as a framework above a window.  Usually made of wood which is painted, stained or covered in fabric, a pelmet serves several purposes.  First, it conceals drapery hardware.  Secondly, it acts as further insulation.  A pelmet is similar to a valance, however, a valance is made entirely of fabric.  Adding a pelmet to existing draperies is an excellent way of creating a sense of grandeur in a room by giving the windows greater height and creating a new architectural element. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

For as many years as I've been making my own pelmets I didn't know that that is their proper name until discovering your post.

Thank you!

Joseph Crisalli said...

I'm glad to be helpful, Ken. Your photo is wonderful! Those cornices look as if they're out of a stately Regency home in Britain. If you made them, I'm in awe of your work. If not, I appreciate your architectural taste.