Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Object of the Day: Antique Beaded Mohair Chair

Victorian designers loved to add just a little sparkle to almost anything, and, one of their preferred means of doing do was with beading. Victorian beading rarely survives today. Most beaded pieces have had weakening of the threads which hold the beads and the result is a balding reminder of a once opulent textile.


That’s why I was thrilled to find this decidedly Victorian chair. Deep red mohair is divided by petit point panels which have been hand-beaded in silver, gray, robin’s egg blue, cream, white, pewter and opalescent black. The beadwork is in excellent condition with very little loss of the precious glass beads.

Perched on hand-carved rosewood Ionic legs, this chair is low to the ground. With its flared parson’s arched back, the chair most likely served double duty as a prie-dieu or “prayer chair” wherein a person would have knelt on the seat and rested his arms on the back of the chair while praying. Prie-dieu were often used in the home to make prayer-time more comfortable.

I have never sat in this chair. Not once. I don’t want to risk loosening any of the beads. People wonder why I bought a chair that I refuse to sit in. In fact, this is one of many chairs that I won’t use. The reason is simple. These little reminders of the beauty and artistry of the past have earned the right to rest. My job was to rescue them so that future generations can appreciate them. They served their purpose and, now, it’s time for them to simply be lovely. Let’s call it “retirement” for furniture.

4 comments:

Shawn said...

Hi Joseph! Love your blog! I found it through the Rare Victorian website - I'm the one who had the "Knole" sofa answer! I love this post - I just found a walnut Victorian parlor chair this weekend with the original (and very fragile!) cut velvet, two-tone upholstery in gold and red. This chair will never be sat on and will spend its days just simply being lovely in my home. Your beaded chair is stunning! It's nice to know it will be protected. Thank you for your posts and I'm so glad I found your blog!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi Shawn! So you were the one that put that question to rest. You have no idea how grateful I am! I've been trying to remember that for weeks. Those are the sorts of things that keep me up at night. Wow! Your parlor chair sounds stunning. If you have a picture, I'd love to see it. If you like, you can email a photo to me at belleepoque@tx.rr.com. Thanks for your kind words and, again, for saving the day with the "knole sofa."

Shawn said...

I will be more than happy to send a photo. I was with my parents this weekend in Kansas City and couldn't fit the chair in the car with us, so I'm headed back this weekend to pick it up (it was only $29!). I've added your blog to my favorites and will visit often, hope you don't mind. It just seems to sum up the way I view the world, too. Sometimes it's hard to see what beauty is left today, just makes it more special when you find it in unexpected places!

Joseph Crisalli said...

$29?! Wow! I look forward to seeing it. I'm glad you're here, Shawn. Thanks for joining the journey!