Saturday, August 28, 2010

Object of the Day: Ecclesiastical French Candle Stand

At just over four feet tall, this French wooden candle stand was once used in a church as part of a pair. Crafted around 1870, the base is lathe-turned with hand carved fluting. The top sports an enormous spike which would have held a large candle in place. Candle holders such as this were utilized to flank the altar in Catholic church. Ebonized, with gold details, I was drawn to this object because of its stately proportions.


I’ve noticed a huge glut of ecclesiastical items in antique stores lately. It’s as if all of the old churches in the world have had huge garage sales lately. From candle stands to prayer rails to pulpits, church-related items seem to have flooded the antique market. I’m not quite sure why. Nevertheless, this item adds an imposing charm to my front hallway. Now, if only I could find a suitably beefy candle…

No comments: