Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunday Viewing: The Phantom of the Opera, 2004

1986 saw Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber’s fame and success reach new pinnacles with the debut of The Phantom of The Opera on the London stage. Based on the novel of the same name by Gaston Leroux and heavily influenced by the silent film versions of the book, Andrew Lloyd Weber’s musical version is one of the longest running and most successful shows of its kind. Beloved by many, The Phantom of the Opera became a feature film in 2004.


Sumptuous sets and plush costumes create the perfect atmosphere for this tale of obsession, beauty and cruelty. Emmy Rossum stars as the beautiful soprano, Christine Daeé (the role created for Sarah Brightman in the original stage version), the object of the Phantom’s desire. Gerard Butler shows his range as both a singer and an actor in the role of the disfigured Phantom who will stop at nothing to secure Christine’s place in the Opera and, hopefully, win her love. The Phantom is thwarted by Raoul, Christine’s girlhood love, played by Patrick Wilson. Of note is Minnie Driver’s fascinating comedic performance as the Opera’s resident diva, Carlotta.

Featuring some of the most famous music from any Broadway/West End production, The Phantom of the Opera is at once a tender love story and a spine-chilling thriller. While we may not be able to see the stage production whenever we want, this film version is an able substitute. Lushly filmed and sensitively acted, The Phantom of the Opera brings the visuals of the Belle Époque right into our homes, set to one of the most moving scores in musical theater history.

2 comments:

KathyL said...

I love Phantom of the Opera. I have seen it in the theater three times. A friend purchased this video for me several years ago. I have never watched it. I don't know why. My daughter and her friends have watched it several times and are in love with Gerard Butler. This summer I took my daughter and her friend, and my son and his girlfriend to see Phantom of the Opera in the theater. While there was mixed reviews amongst the teenagers, I loved every minute of it.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I, too, love Phantom of the Opera. We had the chance to see it on stage recently, and I thought it was spectacular. The film is good, too. I think you'll enjoy it.