Monday, August 30, 2010

Treat of the Week: A Pear and Cherry Galette

Not quite a pie, not quite a cake, a galette is pure joy. The French use the term galette to refer to a freeform, crusty pastry, usually filled with a fruit mixture. The crust makes sort of a bag that holds the filling.


As I’ve said before I’m quite blessed to have a mother who is a master baker. She’s made many a galette for us, but this is one of the best. Filled with fresh pears and dried cherries, this galette is light and flakey, its crust dusted with demerara sugar. The delicacy of this galette is unparalleled. It’s tender, yet firm. The filling isn’t too sweet and allows the natural flavor of the fruit to come through. Life doesn’t get better than this.

2 comments:

Fran said...

I'm telling you, I come back every week to see the what goodies I'm not getting to eat. I love this. Its like a pie that you can put in your purse. XOXOXO

Joseph Crisalli said...

Fran, I think you'd fit in well around here. You, too, are motivated by cake. Thanks for your comment!