Monday, September 13, 2010

Goal for the Day: Keep Your Life Peaceful

Even though we all face a fair amount of chaos and disarray on a daily basis, we each have the power to keep our lives basically peaceful if we remember that calmness comes from within. Today, don’t allow yourself to be swept up in the chaos around you. If you avoid becoming embroiled in situations with which you don’t feel comfortable, the task should be an easy one.

If the people around you are caught up in negative thoughts, gossip and general complaining, try to keep your guard up. Remember, your first job is to protect yourself. Other people’s drama isn’t yours. You can still be polite and friendly without letting others in your life stain your serenity with their acid. By the end of the day, you’ll still feel calm where other people will be exhausted from the expense of emotional energy.

1 comment:

Doni said...

It's a good life goal, and a noble one...But what if your heart aches at the thought of insincere, hateful people who say things about your friends that hurt YOU on their behalf? Is it better to be silent and let it stand? Won't that make you expend more energy in righteous indignation?

Sometimes, I find it makes me feel better to try and "right" a "wrong". For me, "making it right" lifts the burden and angst of the injustice I feel.

...If I lose, or hurt my friends being "too honest" there still is peace of mind in knowing--my friends KNOW I will always "have their back"--I will always DEFEND them -- even if they are not aware they are being maligned. I might make my friend *aware* they are being maligned, but only so my friend can snatch back the knowledge and the power from the jealous gossip who thinks they look superior putting a talented person down.

...Championing my friends gives me a sense of justice, that takes away the seething anger and replaces that with peace. There is some truth to the old quip, 'keep your enemies close, and your enemies closer'.

With the bad energy "neutralized"...I find serenity and happiness comes back tenfold...The action makes us even stronger, and more peaceful because we both knew and learned, and rose above the petty.