Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Object of the Day: An Antique French Mantle Clock

Gleaming black slate comprises the case of this unusually large mantle clock. Constructed in a “temple form,” the clock features three domes topped by bronze finials. The two side domes are supported by metal columns which have been painted a dark green—their capitals and bases, ormolu. An ornate ormolu mount adorns the central portion of the case—flanked by two bronze pilasters. Beneath the rows of columns, an ormolu frieze depicting birds is set into the slate.


This clock weighs more than I do. Getting it on the mantle was a two person job, but it was worth it. The movement and the style of the clock clearly speak of French handiwork, most likely of the mid-Nineteenth Century.

I’m fortunate that my father has a way with antique clocks and can resurrect even the most lost causes from the dead. Consequently, this clock is in perfect running order—happily chiming on the hour and half hour. At just over two feet wide and twenty inches in height, this clock is monumental, to say the least. I’m just glad the mantle in my dining room is sturdy.

5 comments:

whirligig said...

I love this clock, I would be very worried indeed if I didn't see it on your mantle. It somehow manages to look delicate despite being massive.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi whirligig! Yes, it does have a certain airiness despite its size. And, I, too, can't imagine that room without that clock on the mantle. It's a good thing, too, because I don't think I could move it again! Thanks for coming by, whirl.

al Brignac said...

I just finished restoring the same type clock. Heavy, yes. Gorgeous, to say the least.

Unknown said...

I know this probably comes as an odd request, but I'm curious about where this clock came from .. and if you would ever be willing to part with it.

Here's the story: my dad was born and raised in England and had fond memories of a mantle clock identical to this one that belonged to his grandfather. When granddad passed away, my dad's aunt received the clock. She has since passed and the only item my dad wanted from her estate was this clock. The family shipped it to him (he now lives in North Carolina), and it was displayed proudly on his mantle for a few years before my stepmom was cleaning one day and accidentally knocked it off the mantle and it completely shattered. :( My dad, being the easy going, level headed person that he is, let it go, but deep down I know it's killing him that this clock which had been in the family for nearly 100 years is now gone.

Like I said, I know this is a super odd thing to post, and by all means you can tell me to go away, but this is the first time I've seen another one of these clocks. It's a tough one to find. If you aren't willing to part with it, could you give me details about it? I don't even know who the maker is, how old it is, etc.

Look forward to hearing from you!
Jenn

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi, Jennifer...

Your story is quite touching. I'd be happy to tell you more about the clock and suggest arenas where you might find similar examples from the era. None will be identical, as you know.

Email me at BelleEpoque@tx.rr.com and we can chat some more.

I can tell you upfront, however, that I would not be willing to part with mine. It's a rather iconic part of the house now. Nonetheless, I do know of some of its cousins and where you might locate them.