Monday, September 27, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 55

Naasir staggered up the back staircase in the main house, clutching the railing in his hand as he went. His head throbbed and he felt quite dizzy.


“This is how the Great Man of the Rocks must feel,” Naasir thought to himself.

He hurried down the corridor, watching his feet as he walked—his shoes shined in the amber light of the morning sun which lazily flooded through the oval-shaped window at the end of the passage. Gently, he knocked on Julian’s bedroom door, and, then, he entered to find the room empty.

Next, Naasir went to Robert’s room and knocked.

“Enter.” Robert said from within.

“Good morning, Dr. Halifax.” Naasir said politely.

“Naasir,” Robert rose from the chair where he’d been reading. “Whatever are you doing? We told you to take a day of rest today.”

“I know, Sir, however I must continue with my duties. Without that, I have nothing.”

“Nonsense, man.” Robert smiled. “Without your health, you have nothing. You’ve been through a terrible ordeal. If you’ll recall when we found you on the red hill, we insisted that you stay abed today.”

“I feel quite fine, Sir.” Naasir nodded. “I would like to continue with my duties.”

“You don’t look fine, Naasir.” Robert responded. “You look tired. You’ve been very badly beaten. I do wish you’d return to the cabin and let Gamilla and Gros Chidi look after you.”

“I cannot.” Naasir answered, “If you’ll pardon me.”

“What’s troubling you?” Robert asked. “Has there been more sign of the men who carried you off?”

“No, Dr. Halifax.” Naasir took a deep breath. “In my slumber, I dreamed awful dreams. I dreamed that The Great Man…Lord Fallbridge, I mean…was in danger. I dreamed that he’d been taken like I was. This morning I find him not in his room.”

“Lord Fallbridge is in the nursery with Mr. and Mrs. Halifax and the baby.” Robert smiled, “Or, to be more accurate, Mr. Punch is in the nursery. I haven’t really seen Lord Fallbridge since we arrived in Marionneaux.”

“Oh.” Naasir sighed. “So, he’s quite safe?”

“As safe as any of us are.” Robert nodded.

Naasir nodded slowly.

“You wish to see it for yourself, don’t you?” Robert grinned. “You do care for His Lordship.”

“I do, Sir.” Naasir bowed his head.

“I can understand that.” Robert chuckled softly, stifling a cough. “Come with me.”

Naasir followed Robert through the corridor and up a short flight of stairs to the nursery in the house’s round turret. They paused outside of the open door to see Julian seated cross-legged on the floor with the child in his lap. Though the body was Julian’s, the voice was distinctly that of Mr. Punch.

“Here, Nephew Chum, you got yourself some bright eyes, don’t ya?” Punch cooed at the baby who looked up at him adoringly.

He spotted Naasir and Robert. “Good morning, Chums! Only what’s Naasir doin’ outta bed?”

“He wanted to make sure that you’re safe,” Robert winked.

“Ah, right then. Quite fine, I am. Dressed meself and all, this mornin’.” Punch nodded. “Just playin’ with the little one. Talkin’ to him and such. Havin’ a nice time, we are. Wouldn’t you say?”

“Yes, Mr. Punch, I would say that we are,” Cecil laughed.

Adrienne nodded her head. “That we are.” She turned to Naasir, “I’m so glad you’ve been returned to us. I was quite overjoyed when Robert and Mr. Punch returned with you. How fortunate they were to find you on La Colline Cramoisie. My husband’s brother is quite correct, however, you do need to rest. We will wish to speak with you about what happened, but first, you must take care.”

“I will, Madame.” Nassir bowed his head. “I am most humbled by your concern.”

“We all must look after one another in this life, mustn’t we?” Adrienne smiled.

“Yes, my dear, we must.” Cecil put his arm around his wife.

“Come here, Naasir and look at me nephew!” Punch whooped. The baby giggled happily. “He’s a fine little chap!”

“He is that, Sir.” Naasir smiled, feeling relieved that all was as it should be—at least for a moment.

“He don’t do much though do he?” Punch laughed.

“He does what he should,” Adrienne chuckled. “He is still a baby, dear Mr. Punch.”

“Right.” Punch nodded. “Only he’ll be a big man one day like his father and like me chum. He’ll be a big fine man what can sing and do good works. Here, why don’t we sing?”

Punch smiled at the baby. “You want to sing with me? I like to sing. Naasir sang with me once. Didn’t ya?”

Naasir nodded.

“What shall we sing, then?” Punch asked, tickling the infant’s stomach. The baby gurgled with joy. “Shall we sing the song what me master sung to his sister when she were a little one? Only she didn’t ‘preciate it, what with her bein’…” Punch paused. “Only I won’t be sharin’ me opinions ‘bout that one with the likes of you, little chum. No. That sorta thing ain’t for little ears.”

Cecil guffawed. Adrienne blushed.

“Right then,” Punch tickled the baby again. “Let’s sing. Robert?”

“I shall just listen, if you don’t mind.” Robert smiled.

Punch frowned—just for a brief second—and grunted, “Sometimes, Chum, I wonder if you’re any fun at all.” He looked at baby Fuller. “Here, what do ya think o’ yer Uncle Robert?”

Fuller reached for Julian’s finger and tugged on it.

“That’s me boy.” Punch hooted. He began to sing. “In Scarlet Town, where I was born, there was a fair maid, dwellin’. Made every youth sigh well-a-day. Her name was Barbara Allen!”

The baby cooed.

Naasir moaned.

Robert quickly grabbed the man’s arm to keep him from falling over.

“Oh dear!” Adrienne rushed to Naasir’s side. “This is why you should be in bed, Naasir. Cecil, help Robert bring the man back to Chidi’s cabin. I’ll have Gamilla bring you some broth.”

“No, Madame.” Naasir shook his head. “If you’ll pardon me. I’m so sorry.”

Tears welled in Naasir’s eyes.

“What is it, Naasir?” Robert asked.

“Did me song upset you?” Mr. Punch asked, still sitting on the floor with the baby. “It’s not a bad song. Sure, it’s about a cruel lady, but in the end, the red rose and the briar entwine. It’s pretty, it is.”

“That was the name of the beauty who helped me last night.” Naasir answered, still shaking. “Her name was Barbara Allen.”

“She told you that?” Cecil asked. “She told you her name was ‘Barbara Allen’?”

“Yes, Mr. Halifax.” Naasir said softly.

“What did this beauty look like?” Robert asked.

Naasir pointed to Julian. “Like His Lordship. She had his eyes.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-54? If so, you can read them here.

8 comments:

Dashwood said...

Lady Barbara seems to be very much involved and whether she will prove help or hindrance is something I very much want to know. The interaction between Punch and the baby (as well as the others) is a fascinating character development and very very well done.

Fran said...

I've got to tell you, I don't know how you did it, but you made me like Punch. First I was a little scared of him I have to say. Now I like him. Go figure. That takes a lot of talent to move a character along like that. This is all very interesting, mister. I'm on the edge of my seat here.

Anonymous said...

I have been reading this since it started and I agree with the others. At first I thought Punch was going to be a bad guy, but as it happens, he's very sweet. This is some really expert writing.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Dashwood! Let's hope that Lady Barbara has at least a little of the Molliner spirit in her. However, I suspect she favors her mother.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Fran, you're very kind. I really appreciate that. Thanks for your continued encouragement!

Joseph Crisalli said...

That's very kind of you, Anonymous.

Darcy said...

I agree with Fran. Mr. Punch's character development has been amazing. His interaction with baby Fuller is touching as is the way he tries to take care of all his "chums".

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hello Darcy! Thanks very much. I'm having a lot of fun writing for Mr. Punch. Thanks for reading!