Friday, November 26, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 106

The Duchess of Fallbridge raised her well-trimmed eyebrows and arched her back. “How dare you ask me such a question, Miss Magdalena? If that is your name.”


Iolanthe Evangeline grinned. “Is it not true that you were responsible for the murder of your husband, Sir Colin Molliner?”

“Of course it’s not true!” The Duchess growled. “How could you ask me such a thing?”

“I know people.” Iolanthe smirked. “I know many people. I receive a good deal of correspondence from Paris. You were clever, Your Grace, but not nearly as clever as you think. People’s loyalties change quickly—especially the kind of people who you employed to kill your husband. I don’t want you thinking that those very same people aren’t known to me and that they aren’t quite willing to share their knowledge for a price.”

“Who are you really?” The Duchess asked, her cheeks turning bright red.

“I call myself Iolanthe Evangeline though others have different names for me.”

“Why have you brought me here? Why did you summon me from across the ocean? You say you know the whereabouts of my son and daughter. But, that’s not the reason, is it?” Her Grace asked.

“Not entirely.” Iolanthe laughed. “I think we could be very helpful to one another.”

“In what way?”

“You could help me in my business, and I in yours.”

“What is your business?”

“I have many an enterprise.” Iolanthe winked. “Let’s say that I am in the business of making fantasy a reality. For a fee, I can make anything happen. For the right fee, I can perform miracles.”

“You seem to think very highly of yourself,” The Duchess hissed. “You seem to think you’re triumphant. No one triumphs over me! No one controls me. I am Pauline, Duchess of Fallbridge. Don’t forget that!”

“To me, you’re just the same as I am. You’re a strong woman who will stop at nothing to get what she wants. Even murder.”

“I did not murder my husband.”

“Not with your own pearl-white, delicate hands. No.”

“Not with anyone’s hands. I had nothing to do with it.”

“Of course not.” Iolanthe smiled. “Nor have I had any hand in the death of many a man. However, there are documents stating the contrary—about both of us.”

“Show me.” The Duchess said softly.

“In time, perhaps.” Iolanthe chuckled. “But, not until you give me what I want.”

“Which is?” Her Grace asked.

“Your loyalty.” Iolanthe narrowed her eyes. “No matter how fleeting.”

Meanwhile on Royal Street, Mr. Punch sat by the fire in Julian’s dressing gown. His wet hair felt cold against his warm forehead, and his cheeks were flushed from the hot bath he had just taken.

Robert knocked on the door and entered without waiting for a response. “Do you feel better?”

“Not ‘specially.” Mr. Punch sighed. “Me heart feels like it’s gonna pound right out of me chest.”

“Let me see your hands,” Robert said, standing in front of Mr. Punch.

Punch offered Julian’s hands to Robert who inspected them.

“Healing nicely.” Robert said. “I don’t think you’ll need the bandages anymore. However, you’ll still need to be careful with them.”

Mr. Punch nodded.

Robert knelt down and looked at Julian’s legs. “The burns here are also healing. Do they hurt?”

“No, but they itch.”

“That’s a good sign.” Robert grinned. He rose from his knees and settled into the chair across from Mr. Punch. “So, tell me. Why do you think Julian’s mother is close at hand?”

“Just a feelin’.” Mr. Punch shrugged.

Toby trotted over and jumped onto the chair, making himself comfortable on Julian’s lap.

“I think Toby senses something, too.” Robert smiled. “He’s protecting you. Just as I am.”

“Ain’t no way to protect us from Pauline.” Mr. Punch grunted.

“She’s just a human woman.” Robert said. “She can do us no harm.”

“You’ve never met the Duchess.” Mr. Punch shivered, patting the dog. “She’s terrible bad.”

“So I’ve heard.”

“I’ve met her many a time though me master don’t remember it. All them times when she’s been ‘specially rotten to him, I came out to take her abuse, I did.”

“Did she ever strike you?” Robert asked. “Or Julian?”

“Hittin’ ain’t the worst o’ what she done.” Mr. Punch sighed. “Sometimes other things hurt worse than hands. Everyone’s afraid of her. She’s got a way ‘bout her what’s just pure wickedness. Even that awful nanny is scared of her. ‘The Duchess must never know.’” He muttered.

“Perhaps if you were to talk about it…” Robert said. “You can tell me anything.”

“I know.” Mr. Punch said. “But, sayin’ it only makes it real.”

“It was real.” Robert said softly.

“But, it don’t have to stay that way.” Mr. Punch grunted.

Someone knocked softly on the door.

“Who is it?” Robert asked.

“It is I,” Adrienne said. “May I come in?”

“Bien sur.” Robert replied.

As Adrienne entered, Robert remembered that Mr. Punch wasn’t fully dressed.

“Oh, pardon me,” Adrienne said. In her hands she carried a suit of clothes.

“Just had a bath, I did.” Mr. Punch smiled. “Don’t worry, I got this thing on. Can’t see nothin’.”

Adrienne chuckled. “Even if I did, it wouldn’t…” She paused. “Well, I’ve come up here to tell you that I’ve finished this.”

“What is it?” Mr. Punch asked eagerly.

“It’s your costume for the Fancy Dress ball, Mr. Punch.” Adrienne held the suit up for him to see. It was an exact replica of the fine little clothes she’d made for the puppet.

“Coo!” Mr. Punch whooped.

“You approve, then?” Adrienne smiled.

“I should say!” Mr. Punch cooed.

“I’m so pleased.” Adrienne smiled, laying the costume on the bed. “You can try it on later and if there are any alterations needed, I will make them before the ball.” She looked at Robert. “I’ve almost finished yours. I’d hoped to be done with this before we came to New Orleans, but when Cecil insisted we leave early, I had Gamilla pack all of it up so I could complete them here. She’s been helping me. She’s a much better seamstress than she gives herself credit for. The fabric all came from Marjani. She dyed it herself. She’s quite good. Perhaps one day if she’s ever a free woman, she can make a fine living at it.”

“I hope she has a chance to do so.” Robert said seriously.

“Robert, I am only missing one piece from my costume.” Adrienne said.

“Anything I can help with?” Robert asked.

“Not unless you know a good wigmaker.” Adrienne laughed. “I’ll find one in the city. I’m sure Meridian must know someone.”

“What’s your costume gonna be?” Mr. Punch asked. “Are you gonna be ‘Judy’?”

“No.” Adrienne giggled. “That would mean that Cecil would have to be Mr. Punch and, happily, that part is already taken.”

“So, what’re gonna be then?”

Robert shifted in his seat uncomfortably.

“Shall I tell him?” Adrienne asked Robert.

“You might as well.” Robert nodded. “He’ll find out eventually.”

“I’m going as Iolanthe Evangeline.” Adrienne responded.

“What?” Mr. Punch’s eyes widened. “Whatever for?”

“It seems my husband and his wise brother have something of a scheme planned.” Adrienne smiled weakly.

“No.” Mr. Punch shook Julian’s head. “I won’t let you do it.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-105? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Dashwood said...

Adrienne is very brave to even consider masquerading as the Ogress. But if both Cecil and Robert think it is a good scheme, it probably is.

The Duchess and Ogress seem well matched.

Joseph Crisalli said...

She is quite brave to do it, Dashwood, but I think Cecil and Robert may have underestimated Iolanthe and her potential reaction. Thanks for reading!

Darcy said...

Mr. Punch may be right to not want Adrienne to dress as the Ogress. Cecil and Robert's scheme may be clever, but, so is Iolanthe.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Quite right, Darcy. They're going to need all the help they can get! Good to see you!