Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 121

Meridian hurried into the room where Adrienne sat talking with Marjani while Columbia played with little Fuller.


“Beggin’ your pardon, Mrs. Halifax, but there’s a woman in the front hall for to see ya.” Meridian said breathlessly.

“Oh?” Adrienne sighed, fearing that they’d had another visit from either The Duchess of Fallbridge or Barbara Allen. “Did she give a name?”

“Says she’s called ‘Nellie,’” Meridian answered.

“Nellie?” Adrienne’s face flushed.

“What’s wrong, Honey?” Marjani asked. “Somethin’ troublin’ you?”

“No.” Adrienne responded quickly. “It’s just that I knew someone named Nellie once, but, that was before I…before I married Cecil.”

Marjani smiled weakly. “I understand.”

“I suppose everyone in Marionneaux knew about my past.” Adrienne sighed.

“Well, Honey, to the folk that really count it’s only the good works ya do and the good works we know you’re gonna do that matter.” Marjani said softly.

“Is it wrong of me not to wish to see this woman?” Adrienne asked softly.

“No, Honey.” Marjani shook her head.

“You want I should send her away?” Meridian asked.

“No, Meridian.” Adrienne said. “I’ll see her. If she’s come to find me, she must have a reason. I’ve been so fortunate. It’s only right that I should try to extend the same kindness to others.”

“I left her settin’ in the hall,” Meridian said.

“Thank you,” Adrienne stood up. “Meridian, would you like to stay here and keep Marjani and the children company while I tend to my visitor?”

“Sure would.” Meridian grinned.

“I’ll return shortly,” Adrienne nodded.

Adrienne slowly made her way through the house to the entry hall, all the while wondering just what Nellie could want, and just what she’d say to the woman. They had been so close once. When Adrienne lived and worked at Iolanthe Evangeline’s Bawdy House, she and Nellie had become almost like sisters—sharing their dreams and their secrets, their complaints and their pains.

Nellie jumped to her feet when she saw Adrienne. Without saying a word, the woman rushed to Adrienne—tears flowing down her face.

“You’ve got to help me,” Nelliw sobbed.

“I’ll do all that I can,” Adrienne responded gently, putting her arms around her old friend.

At that very moment, Ulrika Rittenhouse stood in a dim alley, fuming at Arthur. “Who do you think you are to speak to me that way?”

“I’m the man what you’ve been poisonin’.” Arthur growled. “I’m the man what you’ve been teasin’ with talk of riches and diamonds.”

“You shall have all that I promised,” Ulrika frowned. Her eyes lit up and her frown faded as she tried to look seductive. “And, you shall have me.”

“I don’t want you.” Arthur snapped, grabbing Ulrika by the shoulders.

“Let me go!” Ulrika struggled.

“Give me the diamond.” Arthur hissed.

“You haven’t met your end of the bargain yet.” Ulrika smiled through her pain.

“Ain’t gonna be no bargain!” Arthur shook Ulrika ferociously.

“Go on and kill me.” Ulrika said hoarsely. “But, I warn you. Without me, you’ll have nothing!”

Meanwhile, Cecil, Robert and Mr. Punch grimaced as Mala opened the door to Iolanthe’s house.

“What you want?” Mala grinned.

“You know very well what we want.” Cecil said fiercely. “Where’s the man that you lured away from us?”

“I don’t know what you mean,” Mala pulled her hideous face back into something that resembled a grin. “You three’d best go on now.”

Cecil pushed past the homely woman and walked into the house. Robert and Mr. Punch followed.

“Now, you get out of here.” Mala screamed.

“Not until we get Naasir,”’ Robert demanded.

“Boys!” Mala shouted for help.

“Where’s Iolanthe?” Robert asked.

“She’s got company.” Mala spat.

“He’s here, he is,” Mr. Punch said, walking toward a door which was partially covered by a crimson velvet drape. “I can feel ‘im.”

“Don’t go in there!” Mala screamed. “Boys!”

Mr. Punch opened the door and was met by the smell of fire. Smoke lazily billowed through the passageway.

“Chums!” Mr. Punch shouted. “Hurry!”

The sound of a horrific scream pierced their hearts as they ran into the dark corridor, following the smoke.



Did you miss Chapters 1-120? If so, you can read them here.

6 comments:

Darcy said...

A new character to consider and more mayhem from the old. This story just keeps moving. Great!

Dashwood said...

Lots of action today. And a new character. Naasir surely doesn't deserve to die but there is Destiny to deal with.

Always left on the edge of my seat.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi Darcy! Thanks very much! We'll have to see what Nellie has to offer. She may not be as helpless as she seems.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hello Dashwood. Very often, we're mistaken about our destinies. It can even happen with those who are more atuned to the universe.

Book Gurl said...

You always leave us hanging. I want to know what happens to Nassir.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Sorry to leave you hanging, Book Gurl. But, that's part of the fun!