Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday Fun: Antique Marionettes

Puppets.uk.com
As I’ve mentioned before, our Mr. Punch started his antics as a marionette until “professors” concluded that glove puppets were easier to transport and manipulate. Marionettes are quite complicated and it takes a skilled puppeteer to manage them gracefully. There’s a certain elegance about a marionette.

These antique puppets show some of the cleverness and artistry that went into Victorian stringed puppets. They’re rather lovely. As much as I love puppets, I have to say that the “Grand Turk” creeps me out just the tiniest bit. But, I love it nonetheless.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute. Butyou're right about the limb-throwing Grand Turk. Odd.

Joseph Crisalli said...

And, he knocked his own head off!