Thursday, February 10, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 167

Marjani watched as Robert buttoned Naasir’s waistcoat and jacket. They’d just spent the last hour cleaning and dressing the man’s spent body.


“He looks right nice,” Marjani nodded.

“He does.” Robert answered softly.

Naasir did, in fact, look much as he did in life. Death seemed to have erased the scars of his burns and his face and hands seemed almost as smooth as they had the day that Robert first saw Naasir on the ship.

“How are you doin’, Doctor?” Marjani asked.

“I’m…” Robert began, pausing to sigh, “I’m just remembering.”

“He was loyal to His Grace.” Marjani said.

“And, to me.” Robert nodded. “It’s just such a tragedy.”

“Is it?” Marjani asked.

“The man’s dead.” Robert responded. “And, he died in pain.”

“He died fulfilling his destiny.” Marjani answered, patting Robert on the back.

“That’s all he talked about—his destiny. To protect the ‘Great Man of the Rocks.”

“And that’s what he done.” Marjani said. “He always said he’d die in fire, that he’d give his life to protect His Grace. Well, that’s what he did. It wasn’t no fire like what burned him, but the fire of a fever.”

“I just hate to see him gone,” Robert shook his head.

“He’s happy now,” Marjani smiled. “I know he is for he done tol’ me he was. He’s gone now—gone to a place where he’s free, where his smart mind and gentleness will be ‘preciated. He’s being rewarded for doin’ what he was put on this earth to do. Now, he’s part of the marvelous story, he’s part of the history he done was tol’ as a chil’. He’s legend now.”

“Yes,” Robert nodded slowly. “I understand.” Robert’s eyes filled with tears, “Only, I was not very pleasant to him at first. I mistrusted him. In my own fervor to protect Julian, I’m afraid I treated Naasir roughly.”

“He understood.” Marjani smiled. “He knew. Don’t you think he knew?”

“I think he knew more than he let on.” Robert wiped his eyes.

“This is what was meant to be. We should be rejoicing.”

Robert nodded. “You know, it’s not what I expected to happen.”

“What did you think?” Marjani asked gently.

“It’s ridiculous now.” Robert sighed.

“Go on.” Marjani smiled knowingly.

“Well, I rather thought that you and Naasir would marry one day. I know, it’s foolish and romantic. I fancied the two of you marrying and opening a little dress shop somewhere in the Quarter.” Robert answered sheepishly.

Marjani grinned. “It’s a sweet thought. But, in our own way, Naasir and I done were married. We were united in living to serve. That was enough.”

Robert drew in a deep breath.

“You’re tired.” Marjani said.

“Yes.” Robert answered softly.

“Come,” Marjani took his hand. “Let’s return you to His Grace.”

Robert nodded.

“Goodbye, Naasir. Thank you.” Robert said, pausing before they left the room.

“Meridian and I will make the arrangements for him tomorrow.” Marjani said as they walked back upstairs.

“I’ll help.” Robert interrupted.

“No, you got enough to worry ‘bout.” Marjani said firmly. “Now, do you want me to get a new valet for His Grace?”

“I don’t know.” Robert shook his head. “He’s done well enough without one since Naasir’s been injured. If we were to hire someone else, he’d have to understand that Julian is…different.”

“We’ll think about it in the morning when the sunlight will make things clearer.” Marjani replied.

They entered Julian’s room and found Cecil sitting by Julian’s bed. Toby was curled up next to Julian/Mr. Punch, sleeping soundly. Cecil had placed Punch’s puppet at the foot of the bed.

Robert smiled, pointing to the puppet.

“Well, I say, I figured he’d wake up and want the bloody thing.” Cecil blushed.

“I know,” Robert nodded. “Has he stirred?”

“Not a bit.” Cecil said. “He’s sleeping soundly. But, he’s breathing quite well.”

“You’d best go get some sleep,” Robert said. “Adrienne’s already gone to bed. I’m sure she’s missing you. I’ll stay with Julian.”

“No, you will not.” Marjani shook her head. “Both you gentlemen are goin’ to sleep. Ya hear me?”

“But…” Robert began.

“No, Sir.” Marjani said firmly. “I’ll stay and watch His Grace. Now, I ain’t gonna take no arguments from ya!”

“I think we’ve been bested, old man.” Cecil smiled.

“It would seem so.” Robert nodded.

“Now, go on…” Marjani pointed to the door.

“Good night, Marjani.” Cecil said.

“Are you sure?” Robert asked.

Marjani narrowed her eyes.

“Very well.” Robert chuckled. “Thank you…for everything.”

Marjani nodded her head.

With Cecil and Robert out of the room, Marjani took the chair next to Julian’s bed and looked at his slumbering body. “Now, say your goodbyes, Your Grace.”

Deep within the hidden room in Julian’s body, Mr. Punch and Julian welcomed Naasir.

“You’ve lovely accommodations in here,” Naasir grinned.

“Welcome, chum.” Mr. Punch whooped. “Look at you—you’re young and strong again!”

“I’m free.” Naasir said.

“Do sit, Naasir,” Julian smiled. “We must talk. We owe you so much.”

“No, Your Grace, Mr. Punch. I cannot stay. I’ve somewhere else to go.”

“Oh, stay with us.” Mr. Punch urged. “You’re our chum, you are. We love you.”

“And, I, you.” Naasir smiled. “However, I’ve just come to say farewell. We’ll meet again, one day, but not for a long time.”

“When?” Mr. Punch asked.

“When your journey is finished.” Naasir answered.

“Are you well now?” Mr. Punch asked.

“Oh, very well.” Naasir grinned.

“How can we ever thank you?” Julian asked. “For everything you’ve done.”

“No need.” Naasir shook his head. “It was my duty and my honor to serve you.”

“You should be rewarded.” Julian added.

“Yes, you should!” Punch cooed.

“I have been,” Naasir said happily. “Very beautifully.”

They stood in silence for what seemed like hours, but was perhaps only seconds.

“Farewell, gentlemen. You will do great things.” Naasir said.

“God speed.” Julian nodded.

“I’ll miss ya, Chum.” Mr. Punch whispered.

With that, Naasir faded away. What remained in the spot where he stood was a shimmering gold key.

“What’s that?” Mr. Punch asked, picking it up.

“I think it’s what I’ve been searching for,” Julian smiled.



Did you miss Chapters 1-166? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Dashwood said...

A really very touching leave-taking and still more intrigue on its way.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Dashwood! This begins a new phase of their adventure.

Darcy said...

A beautifully written farewell, having Julian and Mr.Punch get to thank and say goodbye to Nassir was very moving.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I appreciate that, Darcy!