Thursday, February 17, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 173

Sure, you’re Barbara, Lady Fallbridge,” Charles laughed, “And, I’m Queen Victoria’s lost son, His Royal Highness Prince Chuckles of Lickspittle who accidentally fell into the sea and floated from England to New Orleans.”


“I really am Lady Fallbridge.” Barbara smiled.

“Of course you are. That’s why you’re here—doin’ hair for that sour-faced bitch and workin’ for Marie Laveau who everyone knows is the High Priestess of Voodoo.”

“Charles, what would I have to gain by deceiving you?”

“I don’t know.” Charles smirked. “What’s anybody got to gain by deceivin’ someone. I ain’t got no material good that would interest you. Maybe you fancy me and want to impress me. Could it be that? Them other girls tell me I ain’t so bad lookin’.”

“You’re not.” Barbara shook her head. “In fact, you’re quite nice looking indeed. However, I am afraid that I must tell you that I don’t, ‘fancy’ you.”

“Sure you don’t.” Charles smiled.

“”Even if I did. It would make no difference. I’ve a husband.”

“And, what’s his name, then?” Charles grinned.

“Arthur.” Barbara sighed.

“With you bein’ Lady Fallbridge, who’s your husband, then? Prince Arthur? Or maybe he’s the King of Prussia or whatever else kind of backwards places you folk got over there.”

“No.” Barbara shook her head. “My husband was a footman—a valet, just like you’ll be.”

“Was?” Charles frowned. “Is he dead?”

“No.” Barbara answered. “Not exactly.”

“Whatever does that mean?”

“He’s not dead in a literal sense, but he’s more or less dead to me.” Barbara said softly. “We’ve been separated for quite some time. We’ve had some difficulties.”

“He got himself a new woman.” Charles nodded.

“How can you make that assumption?”

“True, ain’t it?” Charles asked.

Barbara shifted uncomfortably. “Yes.”

“That’s what you get for messing ‘bout with someone not in your own class.” Charles shrugged.

“Thanks for you compassion.” Barbara spat.

“I just like to tell it like it is.” Charles shrugged. “How’d you get away with it? Surely your family would have disinherited you if they knew you’d been involved with a servant—not to mention marry one.”

“I disinherited myself.” Barbara sighed. “I fled from England. Arthur was to join me. We were both on the same ship. I convinced my former nanny to help us. You see, I’d had a baby. No one knew—no one except Arthur, the Nanny, the doctor who delivered the child…he’s the man who is my brother’s companion….and one other party. I had made arrangements through a connection which had been made for me. I took…” She shook her head. “I did some truly awful things.” She sighed. “So, with my new cruelty came a new name. I wanted to keep ‘Barbara” because it reminded me of my pain, but I needed something different so that they’d not find me. I chose Barbara Allen for obvious reasons. I truly thought I was being clever. I had everything in order. So, I thought. I knew they’d follow me. .Julian—that is to say His Grace, the Duke of Fallbridge, was on the ship, too, along with his companion. They had no idea that I was also aboard. Arthur would slip away to see me. Then, we got here and everything changed.”

“How?”

“I don’t mean to burden you with all this.” Barbara shook her head. “In fact, I have no idea why I’ve told you as much as I have.”

“Folk are wont to do that with me. Say I got an honest face and kind eyes. Personal-like, I don’t see it, ya know?”

“I can see it.” Barbara nodded.

“Listen, the old cow will be down any minute and wantin’ you all to herself. What would you say if I asked you to meet me in Jackson Square at sunset tonight? It’s my evening off.”

“Charles…”

“What are you worried about?” Charles winked. “That your unfaithful husband might get jealous? That the Voodoo witch you work for might disapprove? Or, maybe that you might like it?”

“Miss Allen?” Heralda belched as she teetered down the hallway.

“Come on, the old bat is headed in. Say, ‘yes.’ We can talk about this valet job and why it seems to mean so much to you. Say, ‘yes.’”

“Miss Allen?” Heralda continued, her voice growing closer.

“Yes.” Barbara chirped.

Meanwhile, Adrienne smiled gently at Mr. Punch. “Yes, of course, I’ll help you Chers Punch. Oui. There’s very little I wouldn’t do to make sure that you were safe and comfortable.”



“Thanks, Lady Chum.” Mr. Punch nodded strongly. “Ya gotta help me make sure that me master stops askin’ questions…”

“Mr. Punch, you do believe that I want to help you? Yes?”

“’Course I do.” Mr. Punch nodded.

“You know that I only want the best for you?”

“Right.” Punch smiled.

“That’s why, when I said I’d help you, I didn’t mean I’d help you keep secrets from Julian. I meant just the opposite. I’ll help you do what’s right, and only that.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-173? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

Looks like Charles is going to be an interesting addition to the story.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Darcy. I think Charles will be full of surprises.