Friday, March 25, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 204

Corliss Cage shifted uncomfortably in her chair. Tapping her fingernails on the wooden arm of the chair, she sighed, trying to avoid the eyes of the woman who sat across from her.


“My husband should be along shortly,” Corliss said breathlessly. Her face turned pink as she considered her situation. She trembled slightly as she tried to process the many emotions which coursed through her veins like a hot acid—anger, fear, despondency, outrage, embarrassment. She’d never have thought she’d have such a person in her home—never! What would people think? How could Edward have done this to her?

“I know what you’re thinkin’, Mrs. Cage,” Iolanthe Evangeline smiled. “And, I don’t want you thinkin’ that I don’t. I know you’d rather eat your own hair than have me in your house. I don’t blame you. I wouldn’t want me either.”

Corliss coughed, unsure of what to say. She tapped her nails on the chair again. “My husband should be along shortly.” She repeated.

“I know that the last thing a lady like you would want,” Iolanthe continued, keenly aware that she was making Corliss uncomfortable, and frankly, enjoying it, “is comfort from the likes of me. What do I know ‘bout comforting a lady? My comfort is all for men. I’ve comforted a lot of men. Many of your fine, high-tone neighbors, Mrs. Cage.”

Corliss’ eyes widened as she sputtered.

“Now, now,” Iolanthe laughed. “I don’t want you thinkin’ I don’t understand what you’re enduring. I do. I’m a mother myself.”

Corliss nodded.

“My little boy—he’s different. He couldn’t’ stay with me. So, I know what’s goin’ on in your heart. It’s a terrible thing to be separated from your child. But, I aim to help you. That’s why your husband sent for me.”

Corliss’ anger got the better of her. “I don’t see how you could possibly help.”

“Don’t you know?” Iolanthe chuckled. “I’m capable of many things, Mrs. Cage.”

“I have no doubt of that.” Corliss muttered.

“I got you the boy in the first place, didn’t I?” Iolanthe winked.

Corliss nodded stiffly.

“So, just know that I’ll get him back.” Iolanthe smirked.

Mrs. Cage rose eagerly when her husband entered the room. She staggered a bit when she saw that Edward was followed by Ulrika Rittenhouse.

Both Ulrika and Iolanthe scowled upon seeing one another.

Edward ignored all of their emotions and grunted at Iolanthe. “Miss Evangeline, your girl has stolen my child.”

“She’s not my girl anymore.” Iolanthe answered. “She’s Marie Laveau’s girl now.”

“Dear God!” Corliss gasped. “Marie Laveau!”

“Silence!” Edward barked. Corliss quickly retreated back to her chair.

“Don’t misunderstand me, Iolanthe.” Edward snarled. “I demand that you find my son.”

“You demand?” Iolanthe laughed heartily. “You demand. I don’t think you’re in any position to make demands of me.”

“Am I not?” Edward growled.

“Sit down, Edward,” Iolanthe chuckled. “I’ll help you.”

At that very moment, Marie Laveau was also laughing. “You’re not a Lady no more, Barbara Allen. You can’t give me orders and tell me what I done saw and what I didn’t.”

“Please,” Barbara pleaded, holding the child close to her bosom. “I beg you. You’re a mother. You know what I’m feeling.”

“I’m a mother, for sure.” Marie smiled. “I’m a lot of things. But, Girl, I never stole any babies.”

“He’s mine!” Barbara cried.

“Miss Laveau,” Charles began.

“Miss Laveau? Well, ain’t we nice and refined, Mr. Van Eyck?” Marie winked. “Now, why are you showin’ me such deference?”

“I’m showing you kindness, not deference,” Charles answered softly.

“I ain’t used to it.” Marie smiled.

“I believe that we should all treat one another with kindness.” Charles responded.

“You just want me to let your little girl go and pretend I never saw her with Edward Cage’s son.” Marie nodded.

“The longer we wait, the more dangerous it becomes.” Charles said, thinking of Mr. Punch and the promise he had made to return the child to Punch and Robert. “You never know who is watching.”

Little did Marie know, but someone was indeed watching. From the hedgerow, Marjani peered at the scene which was unfolding.

Marjani closed her eyes and concentrated.

Suddenly, at their house on Royal Street, Robert perked up his head.

“What is it, Chum?” Mr. Punch asked.

“We need to go to the cathedral.” Robert muttered.



Did you miss Chapters 1-203? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Dashwood said...

While Julian and Punch are both evolving dramatically, Robert is also going through something of a transformation from a man of science to one who also shows clairvoyance. A subtle and interesting character development. Good work.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Dashwood! We'll have to see how Robert handles this side of his personality.

Book Gurl said...

Barbara's newfound maternal instincts are an interesting plot twist. The struggle for this child will cause a lot of ripples.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Always nice to see you, Book Gurl. Thanks for reading!