Saturday, May 14, 2011

At the Music Hall: “E-Yip-I-Addy-I-Ay,” 1908

Young Herman Von Bellow, a musical fellow,
Played on a big cello each night
Sweet melodies rare, in a dance garden where
Dancers danced ‘round and ‘round with delight.

One night he saw dancing a maid so entrancing
His heart caught on fire inside,
And music so mellow he sawed on his cello,
She waltzed up to him and she cried:


E-Yip-I-Addy-I-Ay, I-Ay!
E-Yip-I-Addy-I-Ay, I-Ay!
I don’t care what becomes of me,
When you play me that sweet melody:
E-Yip-I-Addy-I-Ay, I-Ay!


Written by Will D. Cobb with music by John H. Flynn for 1908’s The Merry Widow and the Devil, “E-Yip-I-Addy-I-Ay, I-Ay!” tells the tale of a musician’s power over a sensible young lady. This song of enchantment and lyrical love became a popular musical hall sensation near the end of the reign of King Edward VII. It was further popularized by Blanche Ring who belted out the song, much to the delight of audiences.


No comments: