Saturday, May 21, 2011

At the Music Hall: Goodbye Dolly Gray, 1898

I have come to say goodbye, Dolly Gray,
It's no use to ask me why, Dolly Gray,
There's a murmur in the air, you can hear it everywhere,
It's the time to do and dare, Dolly Gray.

So if you hear the sound of feet, Dolly Gray,
Sounding through the village street, Dolly Gray,
It's the tramp of soldiers' true in their uniforms so blue,
I must say goodbye to you, Dolly Gray.

Goodbye Dolly I must leave you, though it breaks my heart to go,
Something tells me I am needed at the front to fight the foe,
See - the boys in blue are marching and I can no longer stay,
Hark - I hear the bugle calling, goodbye Dolly Gray.


Written by Will D. Cobb (lyrics) and Paul Barnes (music), this sentimental ballad became popular in the U.S. in 1898 during the Spanish-American War. Later, it became a favorite in England in 1900 during the Boer War.

A favorite of Sir Noel Coward, the song was used in his stage play, Cavalcade and has, since, been featured on the sound tracks of many films. Enjoy this rendition by Music Hall Queen, Florrie Forde.



No comments: