Saturday, June 4, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 261

You want to help me?” Arthur growled at Odo. “Get out of here.”


“I’m afraid I can’t do that,” Odo said. “I got a duty, see. Mr. Cage done entrusted me with the runnin’ of his house, and I gotta be loyal to him. See, I come in here and find you doin’ somethin’ with Miss Ulrika. I know who you are. You’re that fella that used to work for the Duke. Don’t know why you’re in here nor why Miss Ulrika’s in the shape she’s in, but I know you don’t belong here. Now, I’d hate for to have to tell Mr. Cage that you’re here.” Odo grinned. “Still, Miss Ulrika never had a kind word for anyone in this house. I know that Mr. Cage wouldn’t mind her bein’ gone. So, you see, I find myself in a terrible position. On the one hand, I’d be doin’ him a favor by helpin’ to rid this house of Miss Ulrika. On the other, it seems a trifle disloyal not to tell him that some blackguard and his companion done come into his house without him knowin’. Perhaps you can help me make up my mind. If you want me to leave, I’d just as well go to Mr. Cage. If you want me to stay, I’ll help you with what you’re doin’. Of course, I’m sure you’d be willin’ to help me out, too.”

“What is it ‘xactly that you want?” Arthur asked in a hushed voice.

“Nothin’ out of the ordinary. I’m a business man same as you. I gotta be paid for my work. Either I’m gonna be paid by you or be paid by Mr. Cage. It’s up to you.” Odo answered.

“You gotta get rid of him, Artie,” Gerard whispered.

“Hush up!” Arthur spat. “Listen, you, I don’t got nothin’ to pay you with.”

“Is that so?” Odo smiled. “Looks like you got yourself a fine new suit of clothes. Those ain’t the livery of a man in service. No, those are the clothes of a gentleman.”

From the heap in which she lay on the bed, Ulrika moaned.

“She’s comin’ to, Artie!” Gerard hissed.

Arthur groaned nervously and put down the cushion that he was holding. He grabbed Gerard’s arm and croaked. “Let’s just get out of here. We got what we came for.”

As Arthur and Gerard pushed past Odo, they found their exit was blocked by a rigid figure in purple. Arthur looked up into Iolanthe’s smiling face.

“Back from sea, are you?” Iolanthe winked. “I must say, I’m surprised. Usually, when I get rid of a man, they stay gone. And, I don’t want you thinkin’ that they don’t.”

“Miss Iolanthe was the visitor that I mentioned was at the back door,” Odo laughed. “I done caught these two men botherin’ Miss Ulrika.” Odo explained.

“If anyone’s gonna bother Ulrika, it’s me,” Iolanthe grinned. “You can leave us, Odo. You’ve been most helpful.”

“Yes, Miss Iolanthe,” Odo nodded.

“Now,” Iolanthe sighed. “You say you got what you came for. What might that be?”

“It don’t concern you,” Arthur trembled.

“I think it does,” Iolanthe shook her head. “After all, if it’s what I’m thinkin’, it’s mine to begin with.”

Meanwhile, in their internal room deep within Julian’s body, Mr. Punch watched as Scaramouche ranted.

“I’m owed!” Scaramouche shouted. “Have you any idea how much has been taken from me?”

“I have,” Punchnodded impatiently. “Don’t forget, Scaramouche, this is me master’s body and his life. You’re just one aspect of him, just as I am.”

“I’m my own man!” Scaramouche declared.

From outside their body, Julian could still hear his other two parts talking within. “No!” Julian shouted.

Mr. Punch raised his eyebrows. He’d never heard his master raise his voice before. He shouted back so that Julian could hear him. “That’s the way to do it, Master!”

Julian looked up to Robert whose wide eyes expressed confusion and concern.

“They’re arguing in there,” Julian pointed to his chest. “Mr. Punch and that Scaramouche.”

“Where’d he come from?” Robert asked.

“I don’t truly know.” Julian shrugged. “He’s a nuisance, isn’t he? I didn’t realize that I had it in me.”

“Every man has an unsavory side. It seems yours has been hidden so long that it’s taken on a life of its own.”

“It would appear so.” Julian responded, squinting as he listened to the voices within him.

“I wish I could hear what was going on inside of you.” Robert sighed.

“I’m glad that you can’t.” Julian shook his head. “Isn’t it funny? Wishes.”

“What’s your wish, Julian?” Robert asked.

“To have some of the power that Scaramouche seems to think he has.” Julian shrugged.

“You do!” Robert exclaimed. “You already do!”

“Do I?” Julian frowned.

“If you could, what would you say to Scaramouche right this very moment?” Robert asked.

Julian shut his eyes and concentrated. Suddenly, he was overcome with a terrible frustration, the likes of which he hadn’t allowed himself to feel in nearly thirty years. He began to shout.

“There’s so much I wish to say!” Julian bellowed.

Inside of their body, Punch whooped and grinned. Scaramouche grew pale as Julian continued to shout.

Both Punch and Scaramouche listen from inside as Julian finally said what he was thinking. “Scaramouche, you go on about what you’ve lost. Look at what I’ve lost. My mother—though she was most unpleasant—is dead. My father is, too. My sister is lost to me as is her child who I cannot seem to rescue as we had planned. I’ve lost my independence and my safety. I’ve been ripped from the comfort of my home and my routine! I’ve been taken from the only places wherein I feel safe! My possessions have been stolen from me as has my autonomy, and most importantly, I’ve lost my ability to trust! I have been burned, beaten, shot and battered! What have you lost that I haven’t? Nothing! You are only a small part of who I am—no more significant than a stand of hair or a discarded fingernail!”

Soon, Punch noticed that Scaramouche was becoming transparent.

“Not so strong, are you now, Mr. Scaramouche?” Punch laughed.



Did you miss Chapters 1-260? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, June 6, 2011 for Chapter 262 of Punch’s Cousin.

1 comment:

Dashwood said...

Wow. What an exciting way to portray the different parts of a man. It's much like a medieval play taking place within a story. Excellent work.