Monday, September 19, 2011

Object of the Day: A Souvenir Handkerchief from the Reign of King George V and Queen Mary

A recent addition to my collection of Royal memorabilia is another souvenir handkerchief. Of course, it depicts King George V and Mary of Teck since I tend to favor them. What’s particularly nice about this one is that it also shows their entire family.

Now, this souvenir is not from the coronation nor is it from the Silver Jubilee in 1935. IT was made at some point before 1919 since the family portraits include Prince John who died following a traumatic epileptic seizure in January of 1919. Following John’s death, Queen Mary was so heartbroken that the young prince was barely spoken of again, let alone depicted on any souvenirs.

The handkerchief is printed with “God Save Our King and Queen/ King George V and Queen Mary/ and their Family.” Portrait ovals of George and Mary hover above smaller depictions of their five children: “David” (later King Edward VIII and, then, the Duke of Windsor), Albert (known as “Bertie” to the family, later King George VI), Princess Mary, Prince Henry, Prince George and Prince John. Below the family portraits, are the words and music for “God Save the King” which is labeled as “The National Anthem.”

The handkerchief, though delicate is in excellent condition for its age and is now neatly preserved in a frame made by my father.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

It was lovely to finally find a photo of this handkerchief on your website. I have had one of these for a number of years but have never seen another like it.. Out of interest would you know how much this handkerchief is worth and should I consider framing it to help preserve it for future generations. Regards Marilyn

Joseph Crisalli said...

I’m glad you have another of these. Yes, I’d recommend framing it for preservation. I would suggest using acid free mounting and UV protecting glass. I am sorry, but, I don’t offer appraisals since I am inundated with requests to do so. A google search of similar items will give you an estimate. Happy New Year.