Monday, October 10, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 363

Corliss Cage looked up helplessly as Robert greeted her.

"Perhaps you don't remember me, Mrs. Cage. I am Robert Halifax, and this is my nurse, Marjani."

"I know you.". Corliss rasped.

"Your husband sent for us."

"He told me that he had done so." She sputtered. "I'm not to talk to you. Edward said so."

"It will be better if you do not." Robert nodded. "You should save your strength. I am going to examine you. Do you understand?"

Corliss nodded weakly.

"Your fever is very high." Robert said softly. "For how long have you felt this way? You need not speak, just hold your finger up to show us how many days."

Corliss limply raised her arm ever so slightly and extended three fingers.

"So long and you've said nothing."

"Martyr." Corliss whispered. "That's what Edward calls me."

"That's no matter now." Robert shook his head. "Mrs. Cage, Marjani is going to bathe you now with water and some special herbs which will serve to cool you. Do you understand."

"Must she?"

"If you wish to feel better."Robert nodded. "It will make you more comfortable."

"I have not been comfortable in ten years." Corliss coughed. "Should I start now?"

"Now is as good a time as any.". Robert smiled.

"Will you remain here?"

"I don't have to. If you would prefer privacy, I can go elsewhere."

"Where?" Mrs. Cage moaned. "To the nursery? Is that why you've come? To look for the boy?"

"Mrs. Cage, you need to stay calm." Robert shook his head.

"Edward told me to say nothing about it to you."

"There's no need." Robert nodded. "Not now."

"But, I must. I love the boy."

"I know that you must, but, Mrs. Cage..."

"You mistake me. I want what's best for him. That is why I will help you to take him."


Did you miss Chapters 1-362? If so, you can read them in the Chapter Archive located on the right menu.

No comments: