Friday, November 4, 2011

Family Tradition: Making "Grandma Cookies"

Growing up, one of my favorite treats was always “Grandma Cookies.” These cookies of lemony-glazed knots, sugar-dusted s-shapes and jelly-filled loafs were always welcomed with eager, quick fingers. They are named for my great-grandmother Carr, my mother’s grandmother. “Big Grandma” Carr always made these cookies and my mother has carried on the tradition.


Now, it is well-known that I’m not a confidant cook. I’ve never had to be. My mother, as you’ve seen the past couple of years on this blog, is one of the best chefs around. I grew up eating well. I’m an eater, not a cook. Even as an adult, living on my own lo these many years, I’ve never really even tried to cook because I know that what I produce won’t be nearly as good as what I’m used to. And, Bertie’s not picky.

Yet, it occurs to me, that I should try because I have the opportunity to learn from a master, and I want to make sure that these cherished family recipes and traditions continue. So, a couple of weekends ago, I spent the day with my mother, learning the beloved art of “Grandma Cookies,” and, now, via the magic of the Internet, I’m going to share it with you.

So, here it goes.



To begin with you’ll melt half a pound of butter with a cup and a half of sugar in half a cup of milk. Do this in a saucepan on medium heat until it’s nice and smooth.



When it is smooth, add four and a half teaspoons of baking powder, and let the mixture come to room temperature. It’ll start to bubble! And, it’ll look like this.



Meanwhile, you’ll beat three eggs slightly and add a teaspoon of vanilla to the eggs.

In a mixing bowl, you will take six cups of flour and a pinch of salt and gradually add the eggs and the milk mixture to it. We used a mixer with a dough hook for this. Mix it until it forms a ball.



Let it rest for an hour.

It’ll look like this.



Then, you can start with your cookies.



For the S-Cookies, roll out a snake and divide it, forming S-shapes which you’ll rest on a cookie sheet. We put Silpat on the cookie sheets so that the finished cookies will slide right off.



For the Knot Cookies, you’ll also make a snake from the dough and divide it. But, then, you’ll tie the length into a small knot. Place those on a cookie sheet, too.




For the jelly cookies. Roll out a length of dough until it’s flat. Add a layer of your favorite jam (we used apricot and strawberry) and fold the dough over so it forms a low, flat loaf. Score the unbaked loaf with your knife so that it’ll be easier to cut later.




Then, bake them. Fifteen to twenty minutes at 350 or until they’re golden brown.

They’ll look like this.





Typically, the S-Cookies are dusted with confectioners’ sugar.





The others are glazed with an icing made from confectioners’, a pinch of salt, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest. You’ll need to play with the amounts until you get the consistency you desire.








Spoon the glaze over the knots and add colorful sprinkles. Simply glaze the jelly loaves and cut them into segments.

And, you’re done!





Enjoy with a nice cup of tea.

8 comments:

Shawn said...

Good for you, Joseph! It's so neat that you wish to carry on this family tradition. I, for one, am terrified of baking, so I admire your courage. The finished product looks absolutely wonderful and I am quite sure that "Big Grandma" Carr would be very proud of you!

Book Gurl said...

I'm going to make these right now! I will let you know how they turn out!

Matt said...

I agree! Good for you! From what I have seen you couldn't have a better teacher. They look great. I think the kids and I should make these together.

Doni said...

How are y'all all not diabetics. I drooool whenever I see any of your recipes...Everyone looks just perfect!

BTW, are those far out coffee cups available in the gift shop? lol Where's the gift shop?

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Shawn! That's very sweet of you.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I hope they work out well for you, Book Gurl.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Aw, thanks, Matt. Have fun! I'm very pleased to know your family will enjoy these, too!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi, Doni. Yes! The cups and all sorts of things--bags, clothes, and other are available in the Stalking the Belle Epoque store. You'll see a link on the right menu.