Sunday, November 6, 2011

Mr. Punch in the Arts: Theobald & Co. Slide



Don't you just love this? I recently saw a similar Victorian slide online, but forgot to purchase it before it was too late. This hand-colored glass slide depicts Mr Punch, Judy and the baby. It is number seven of a set of twelve which is, of course, part of the George Speaight Archive.


The following text accompanies the slide during a magic lantern show:

Punch: And how is the dear baby, Judy? Isn’t it like me? Pretty little dear. Popsey darling. Oh, take it away, it’s got hold of my nose. Oh my poor nose! Judy will you take it away? You wont, then I’ll throw it out of window. [Punch throws poor baby out of window.]


Judy: Oh, you cruel monster. I’ll have you locked up. My poor darling precious baby. I’ll call a policeman.

No comments: