Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Obscure Book of the Day: Pictorial Guide to London

As I write this, I’ve got my laptop in my lap, sitting in a chair with Bertie wedged in next to me. This book is resting on Bertie’s back since I have no other place to put it at the moment and he’s terribly irritated about it. That has nothing to do with anything, but I thought I’d share that fact anyway.


Here we have another little volume published by the Pitkin Publishing Company as part of their “Pride of Britain” series. Again, like all the Pitkin Books, it has no date of publication. But, I did happen to spy that it’s advertising an exhibition of Old Masters Paintings at Windsor Castle that runs through May of 1960. So, there you go. We missed it by over fifty years. But, Windsor Castle is still there—albeit a little different after that pesky fire in 1992.

In fact, most everything pictured in this handy little guide is still there, and, mostly, unchanged (if not improved and better restored). The map on the back cover is 99% accurate. God bless London.

Called, “Guide to London in Pictures,” it’s just that. And, it’s quite beautiful. A nifty guide to landmarks throughout that great city, it gives a little history and a lot of visual impact.

Let’s take a look inside…













1 comment:

Doni said...

While this has been such an adventure...I would have loved just one last shot...of the editor/author "at work" with his loyal assistant, Sir Berti-mus Maximus.