Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Obscure Book of the Day: Royal Romances—“David and that Simpson Woman”


As an American who was born almost forty years after the whole “Abdication Kerfuffle” ™ of 1936, I have no rational reason for being so bitter about it nor so critical of the one-time Prince of Wales/King Edward VIII, later, the Duke of Windsor nor of his rather equestrian-looking love, the American lady-boy Wallis Simpson. See? What’s my problem?

(It was never proven that she was a lady-boy)

(Nor was it ever proven that she was a prostitute)

I know what my problem is, actually. In all things, I tend to side with tradition and family. “David” (Edward) didn’t follow through and not only let down Britain, but his mama. And, I really don’t like when people’s mamas get upset. Particularly when the mama in question is Queen Mary, of whom I have developed a certain attachment (Quelle surprise.)

And, so, let’s examine the another obscure book. This one is called, “David and that Simpson ‘Woman.’” Okay. No, it’s not.

The fifth in the series of 1990’s, “Royal Romances: The Love Affairs that Shaped History,” the volume is titled “Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson.” Notice that these are not “The Pleasant and Appropriate Love Affairs,” they’re just the ones “that shaped history.”

And, this one really did. I suppose, if you think about it, it’s a good thing that Wallis sunk her crimson claws into Edward VIII. Had she not, the Second World War would might have had a very different outcome. Stinkin’ Nazis.

So, the book talks about their “love affair.” We already know all about that. Blah, blah. And, there are some nifty photos of her jewels. She had many. And her clothes. She had many. And his clothes. He had many. And their fancy homes. Sigh.

But, the part I like the best is that this volume doesn’t shy away from the truth of the scandal and tells it quite honestly.

Let’s take a look inside.

"I want to be Queen."

Worlds...and used car lots.

"Look at me, I'm a lady."


Hard to tell which is David and which is Wallis.


God Bless the Great Keruffler.


"We like things."



I concur.

At long last I am able to say a few words of my own. I have never wanted to withhold anything, but until now it has not been constitutionally possible for me to speak.


A few hours ago I discharged my last duty as King and Emperor, and now that I have been succeeded by my brother, the Duke of York, my first words must be to declare my allegiance to him. This I do with all my heart.


You all know the reasons which have impelled me to renounce the throne. But I want you to understand that in making up my mind I did not forget the country or the empire, which, as Prince of Wales and lately as King, I have for twenty-five years tried to serve.


But you must believe me when I tell you that I have found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge my duties as King as I would wish to do without the help and support of the woman I love.


"Honey, now that I'm not King, let's buy things." 

Some of Wallis' jewels. 

Can you imagine how fun this last meeting of mother and son was?

And, he died.

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

There's a subtle suggestion here that you aren't a great fan of either the Duke or Wallis. But is sure was a well-engineered abdication that turned out very very well. I concur.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Very subtle, but true. But, thank God he abdicated! Could have been very bad.