Thursday, November 17, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 396

“’Milla!” Gerard exclaimed as he stumbled into the kitchen of Dr. Biamenti’s house on Royal Street.


“Ga-Milla.” Gamilla responded irritably. “And, if you’re lookin’ for Charles and that Allen woman—they’re down in my room. Got herself all kinds of beat up. Serves her right.”

“I know.” Gerard shook his head. “It’s you I want.”

“Now, listen…” Gamilla wagged her finger.

“No, no.” Gerard continued. “I need your help. His Grace and the Halifaxes found little Colin.”

“Praise the Lord!” Gamilla whooped. “Where’s Master Fuller?”

“That we don’t know yet,” Gerard sighed. “That’s why I need you.”

“How’s that?” Gamilla narrowed her eyes.

“We got a notion that Miss Ulrika’s got Master Fuller, but we don’t know where she’s gone.”

“And, what’s that got to do with me?” Gamilla asked.

“Well, see…” Gerard grimaced. “The Duke…well, Mr. Punch…got Colin back by hittin’a guard over the head.”

“Lordy,” Gamilla clucked her tongue.

“And, he and Missus Adrienne and Mr. Cecil got themselves out of Mr. Cage’s place, but they left the doctor and Marjani behind.”

“That ain’t good.” Gamilla grumbled.

“But, see, if you went with me over to Mr. Cage’s, you could talk to their maid and see where Miss Ulrika went while I sneak in and help the doctor and Marjani get out of there.”

“Oh, no!” Gamilla spat. “I can’t be leavin’ this house with Meridian ailin’ and no one else here for to watch the place!”

“But, Charles is here.” Gerard argued.

“With that woman!” Gamilla waved a hand at Gerard. “Oh, no! Besides…ain’t like I’m so friendly with them folk in the kitchen at the Cages’. And, what if Odo is there? He’ll know what I’m about—sneaky, little worm.”

“Odo ain’t there.” Gerard shook his head. “And, you know the maid, Zettie, don’t ya?”

“I know her cuz we been on neighborin’ land for years, but it ain’t like I’m so friendly with her as to jus’ go visitin’.”

“Come on, Gamilla.” Gerard pleaded. “Missus Adrienne might never see Fuller again if we don’t do somethin’. And, there’s no tellin’ what that Mr. Cage will do to the doctor and Marjani. These folk been good to us. Even in the short amount of time I been with ‘em, they treated me better than my own kin. You been with ‘em for years, surely you’re not gonna be so disloyal as to not help ‘em out when they need ya the most.”

Gamilla frowned. “Go on down and tell Charles for to watch the house. I’ll get my coat.”





Did you miss Chapters 1-395? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: