Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 400

Did I hear somethin’ break?” Zettie panted as she ran down the kitchen stairs.


Gamilla calmly shook her head and lied. “No. I didn’t hear nothin’.”

“Oh.” Zettie nodded.

“Is the baby with Miss Ulrika upstairs?” Gamilla asked.

“No.” Zettie sighed.

“Do you know where she went?”

“Gamilla…” Zettie raised her eyebrows.

“You know as well as I do that that baby she’s got is Missus Halifax’s baby!” Gamilla said angrily. “You can’t tell me that ya think Miss Ulrika’s gonna be a good mother to him!”

“No.” Zettie sighed. “I don’t know where she went, Gamilla. Her clothes and things are still in her room. So, I’m sure she didn’t go far.”

“You don’t think so?” Gamilla grumbled. “You don’t think that she’d leave her duds behind? A rich girl like that can buy whatever she needs anywhere she wants. Miss Ulrika don’t care as much ‘bout clothes as she does hurtin’ folk.” Gamilla heard a commotion begin to rise in the main part of the house and knew she had to get Zettie out of the kitchen.

“Please,” Gamilla continued. “I ain’t askin’ ya to betray your master, but take me out to see the men that keep the horses. They’ll know if Miss Ulrika’s gone somewhere. If ya don’t do it for me, do it for that sweet little Fuller. He don’t deserve to be with that horrible woman!”

“Fine,” Zettie grunted. “You better come with me quick! I hear Mr. Cage in there and he don’t sound happy.”

Gamilla sighed with relief as she followed Zettie into the courtyard. She glanced over her shoulder as they left—hoping that Gerard could get Marjani and Dr. Halifax out of that house before Zettie saw them. Zettie was kind, but self-protective. She’d make sure to be loyal to the Cages’ if only to save herself.

At that very moment, Edward Cage had gone into the corridor to investigate the source of the crashing noise made when Gerard tossed the vase through the window.

As Edward passed him, Gerard slipped behind and crept into the hallway, silently taking Marjani by the arm and pointing to the front door.

Robert, Marjani and Gerard hurried toward the door just as Edward Cage returned.

“I’m no fool.” Edward growled. “What are you doing?”

“You can’t keep us here.” Robert said bravely.

“Oh, yes I can!” Edward shouted. “Look at you! You’re all criminals! You get your man to come in here, vandalize my home! Try to sneak you out!”

“They didn’t know nothin’ ‘bout it, Sir.” Gerard spoke up.

“Quiet!” Edward screamed as he pulled a pistol from an inside pocket in his coat.

“What are you doing, Edward?” Robert shook his head.

“I heard a noise!” Edward laughed. “Saw an intruder, and fired to protect my family!” He grinned. “That’s what I’ll tell the officer when he comes back. Now, which one of you shall I shoot first?”



Did you miss Chapters 1-399? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Saturday after Thanksgiving for Chapter 401 of Punch’s Cousin.

No comments: