Friday, December 2, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 405

Here,” Punch began, “Marjani, you got some kind of way of knowin’ where people are, you do. Have you got any notion where Cecil and Adrienne are?”


Marjani shook her head. “It ebbs and flows, Mr. Punch.”

“Coo, but maybe if you think on it real good…”

“I’ll see.” Marjani smiled a tired grin.

“Poor Marjani, you gotta be all kinds of worn out.”

“I ain’t so very tired, Mr. Punch.” Marjani shook her head. “No more so than you. Now, let me just think on it for a moment.”

“Sure,” Punch nodded eagerly.

“Holy Mother,” Marjani mumbled. “Help us find those who seek.”

“Would it help if I did it, too?” Punch interrupted. “I ‘member when you taught me ‘bout prayin’, I do.”

“Sure it would.” Marjani chuckled. “But, do it nice and quiet. The powers got ears that can hear every little thing.”

“I understand.” Punch replied even though he didn’t. “Holy Lady Chum, help us find our other chums what’s seekin’.” He looked at Marjani. “Did I do it right?”

“You did jus’ fine, Sir.” Marjani nodded. She began to squint.

“You got somethin’ in your eye?” Punch asked.

“I do.” Marjani smiled. “Somethin’ good.” She pointed into the mist ahead of them.

Punch looked to see two frazzled figures hurrying toward them.

“Cecil!” Punch shouted.

“Mon Dieu! It’s Punch and Marjani!” Adrienne howled with relied as she and Cecil rushed forward. “I’ve been…” She began to sob, throwing her arms around Marjani and burying her face into the woman’s shoulder.

“Steady on, darling.” Cecil said warmly.

“Listen,” Punch said excitedly. “Colin’s safe and we know that Fuller’s with that horrible woman what’s called Ulrika.”

“Ulrika!” Cecil snapped.

“Gamilla think she’s ‘robably on her way back to Marionneaux.”

“And, then, so shall we.” Cecil barked.

“Not without us, you’re not.” Punch shook his head.

“No, you’ve got to get Colin back to England. The ship departs tomorrow.” Adrienne said, looking up and wiping her eyes with her fingertips.

“How could we leave knowing your boy is still missing? He ain’t me blood nephew, but he’s me nephew still the same.”

“If we go now, maybe we can all get on that ship with everyone we love,” Adrienne said.

“How?” Cecil asked. “We can’t very well go back to our house and fetch one of our horses. Edward Cage will attack us immediately.”

“No he won’t.” Marjani smiled. “He got shot in the leg. He ain’t goin’ nowhere.”

“Please tell me that my brother didn’t…” Cecil began.

“Naw, it was Mrs. Cage—the life drainin’ out of her from the Yellow Jack—she still had the strength for to help us.” Marjani replied.

“Well, then, let’s hurry.” Adrienne exclaimed. “Get the fastest horse we have! She couldn’t have gotten too far!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-404? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

Mr. Punch's prayer is very poignant in its naiveté. This is a very powerful chapter.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Darcy!