Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Treat of the Week: Yuletide Decadence



We had such a wonderful Christmas this year, and, as always, we had several days of fantastic feasts thanks to my mother.

On Christmas Eve, we began the celebration with a wonderful pasta with a sauce of cream, asiago cheese, Romano cheese, mozzarella, parmigiano, fontina, ricotta, Gorgonzola, tomato pureé, cream, basil, and scallions which is then baked to bubbly, gooey perfection.  We each had our own personalized antipasto to go with it.  And, we all ate far too much.





This was, of course, followed by tea and many, many of the glorious Christmas cookies and candy that my mother spent hours upon hours baking.

Typically, our Christmas tradition begins thusly--a large Italian feast starts of the festivities.  This is a nod to our Italian heritage.  In case you hadn't guessed, "Crisalli" is an Italian name.  Christmas Day,  however, we indulge in a traditional English feast--not because we're English, but because we are Anglophiles.  This will come as no surprise to regular readers of this site.

So, on Christmas Day, we stuffed ourselves with herbed prime rib and Yorkshire puddings (one of my favorite things in the world) garnished with a luxurious gravy and whipped cream infused with horseradish.  Gorgeous!  This is accompanied by roasted potatoes and petite, buttered Brussels Sprouts.





We ended the meal by popping open our Christmas crackers and donning our paper crowns.  We do this every year, and every year, Bertie runs from the dining room.  The sound of the crackers snapping frightens him.  And, so, once Bertie was soothed and convinced we weren't shooting one another, we sliced into this year's Christmas Cottage Cake.

This ginger spice pound cake,  in the form of a snow-covered cottage is painstakingly decorated by my mother who takes great care with it--down to ensuring that each of the four trees is topped by an icing star.

A wonderful time was had by all, and, frankly, I'm still full.







14 comments:

Matt said...

The perfect celebration and delicious cake! That's the makings of a merry Christmas!

Fran said...

Only latkes could make that better. What a beautiful cake that is. Oh boy would I like a piece if that tonight. Happy new year to you and your family, kid.

Jason said...

I'm happy there was a little house cake. That's so sweet! I was hoping!

Carolyn said...

Late! You were late again, but I forgive you because these pictures were worth the wait. I'm so glad you had such a beautiful time and such a yumsy feasty. Your mumsy is so talented! Happy New Year!!!!!!!!

Book Gurl said...

I'm so jealous!

Gene said...

I would have loved that. We had stupid ham. You guys sure know your food.

Mark said...

Right, Yorkshire puddings--brilliant! You're a credit to your country, my friend!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Matt. I do believe we all had a merry time.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I like a good latke, Fran! We'll make some in your honor very soon. Happy New Year!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Of corse, Jason. Too bad we couldn't share it with you.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I was naughty and slow today, Carolyn. Sorry. But, yes, my mother is indeed talented. Happy New Year to you!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Aw, Book Gurl.

Joseph Crisalli said...

We do know our food. Sorry to hear about your stupid ham, Gene. I hope it was a good holiday notwithstanding.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Mark.