Sunday, January 29, 2012

Object of the Day: A Souvenir of the Abdication Kerfuffle



I’ve made my thoughts about King Edward VIII, the Great Kerfuffler ™, quite clear. On one hand, I’m very glad that his tenure as King was very, very brief since he had political and social affiliations which would have proven disastrous for the entire globe, but I can’t seem to forgive him for the whole Abdication Kerfuffle.

Nevertheless, as a collector of Royal memorabilia, I’m always eager to snatch up souvenirs which were produced for King Edward VIII’s 1937 coronation because it never happened and, therefore, these items are quite rare.

The designs for “David’s” coronation souvenirs were undoubtedly handsome—masculine and dignified, yet stylized in a very 1937 way whereas the replacement items made when it was known that “Bertie” would take his brothers place are delightfully more traditional and family-oriented.

Take this beaker which I recently added to my collection, for example. It is, truly, stylized, but also very bold in its design and color. Had Edward remained King, his reign would have been dangerous failure, but these reminders of the coronation which never happened are very pleasing indeed.





Interested in the "Abdication Kerfuffle?"  Show your own opinion of the late Duke of Windsor with our unique, exclusive "Abdication Kerfuffle" ™ designs. 

No comments: