Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 427

Mr. Punch clenched Julian’s fists and sputtered at Ty Odo.  “Where is she?  Where’s me chum, Mama Routhe?”

“I done tol’ ya.”  Odo grinned slickly, his yellow teeth dripping with eager saliva.

“Yes, yes,”  Robert frowned.  “You’ve said she’s with Marie Laveau.  Surely you don’t think that such a declaration would fill us with ease and comfort.”

“Don’t know.”  Odo shrugged coyly.  “Depends on what ya think o’ Marie.”

“You say if we don’t take you with us, Mama Routhe will die.  How is this?”  Robert growled.

“That’s not for you to know.”  Odo laughed. 

“So surely she’s in danger presently?”  Robert continued.

“Who knows?”  Odo smiled.

“Fine, yes!’  Punch spat.  “You can come.”

“Your Grace?”  Robert narrowed his eyes.

“He can come with us.”  Punch said firmly.  “Coo!  We just said we needed another valet.  

Surely this one’s no worse than Arthur.”  Punch winked.  “Remember when we traveled here with Arthur, chum?  Remember how well he done?  Remember how much he loved the sea?”

Robert recalled the night when Naasir had stopped Punch from throwing Arthur over the side of the ship into the sea.  He nodded.

“I’m sure Odo will love the sea even more than Arthur musta done.”  Punch continued slyly.
Robert sighed helplessly.

“Chum, we come too far to see us stopped now.”  Punch said softly to Robert.  “There’s nothin’ I won’t do to see that we get where we want with all our friends safe.”

“So, I can come?”  Odo asked eagerly.

“Yes.”  Robert nodded.

“There’s one thing,”  Punch added.  “I gotta see that Mama Routhe is safe.”

“She is.”  Odo said quickly.

“No.  I wanna see for myself.”  Punch shook his head.

Odo began to sweat.

“Odo…”  Punch glared.  “Take me to her.”

“It’s not safe for you…”  Robert interjected, but Punch held up his hand. 

“It’ll be fine, chum.”  Punch answered firmly.  “Take me to her, Odo.”

“Very well, Sir.”  Odo nodded.  “But, you gotta promise you won’t leave me here.”

“I won’t.”  Punch laughed.  “I promise.  I already said I wanna show you the sea.  And, show it to you I shall.  But, first, you gotta show me what I want.  Understand?”

“I do.”  Odo answered weakly.

“Let’s go, then.”  Punch said firmly.
 
“Of course, Your Grace.”  Odo answered, his voice quivering.  “Let’s go.”   



Did you miss Chapters 1-426?  If so, you can read them here.  

No comments: