Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 456

Buongiorno, dottore. L'usanza è quella di offrire auguri per un viaggio sicuro. Non è vero?” Giovanni grinned at Robert.

“What are you doing here?” Robert growled.

“As I said, I’ve come to wish you a safe voyage.” Giovanni responded, pushing his way into the cabin.

“Here!” Punch shouted. “You get outta here!”

“Not yet.” Giovanni shook his head.

Robert stepped forward menacingly. “I suggest you do as the Duke says.”

“Or what?” Giovanni clucked his tongue. “What can you do to me?”

“I’ve already nearly killed you once.” Robert glowered.

“And, I’ll finish the job, I will.” Punch spat.

“No, you will not.” Giovanni Iantosca sighed. “Not with the little babe in the next room.” He smiled. “How is the child? You know, Edward Cage still mourns him—even in the intense pain he must feel from being shot.”

“His own wife knows that the boy belongs with me.” Punch replied. “Or she wouldn’t have shot him.”

“The woman is pazzo…how do you say it? A lunatic? Like you, Your Grace.”

Robert coughed and turned, walking toward the door of the cabin.

“Dove stai andando?” Giovanni asked.

“I’m going to find a steward to remove you from this cabin.” Robert said over his shoulder.

“Che sorpresa.” Giovanni laughed. “The doctor goes for help. What will you tell them? Will you say that I’m bothering you? I’ll happily tell them you’re traveling sotto falso nome with a child that you’ve stolen.”

“I’ll take my chances.” Robert replied.

“And will you take your chances leaving me with your…amare compagno?” Giovanni winked, looking Punch over from head-to-toe. “He’s a weak little thing, isn’t he, this Duke? Even injured, I’m sure I could…silence him.”

Robert stopped. “What do you want?”

“Not what you think.” Giovanni smiled. “I’ve not come for the child. Io voglio solo ciò che è dovuto a me.”

“We owe you nothing.”

“Perhaps not to me, but to my own companion.”

“And where is that ginger sow Ulrika?” Punch grunted.

“She is extending similar wishes to others in your party.” Giovanni chuckled.

At that very moment, Cecil opened the door of the cabin he was sharing with Adrienne and Fuller to find Ulrika Rittenhouse on the other side. She smiled broadly.

“Really, how charming this state room is.”

“Dear God!” Cecil spat, trying to close the door. Ulrika, however, forced her way in.

“Now, that’s not very neighborly of you, Mr. Halifax,” Ulrika shook her head. “We’ve known one another for quite some time, haven’t we? I’d expect better treatment.”

“Adrienne,” Cecil said quickly. “Take Fuller and go find Charles.”

“That won’t do you any good.” Ulrika sighed. She wiggled her finger at the child in Adrienne’s arms. “He could have been my child, you know. Too bad he isn’t.”

“Stay away from my son.” Adrienne warned.

“Really, let’s have a minimum of your French theatrics.” Ulrika barked.

“Go, quickly, find Charles!” Cecil said again.

“You’ll find your Charles is occupied.” Ulrika shrugged.

“With whom?” Adrienne asked.

“Never you mind about that.” Ulrika shook her head. “We have business of our own.”

Meanwhile, Charles looked up to find Marie Laveau standing over the cot where he had been napping. He fluttered his eyes and sat up, gasping as he studied her—her gown still crusted with blood.

“Good morning,” Marie groaned. “Look at the two of you. Happy servants in your little beds.” She pointed to Gerard in the next cot. Gerard was awake, but still weak from the beating he’d received from Marie’s men. “I should have had them kill you.”

Charles scrambled to his feet.

“Where you think you goin’?” Marie asked.

“To get you out of here.”

“Ain’t gonna work.” Marie chortled painfully. “What you think you’re gonna do? Get your Marjani?”

“Perhaps.” Charles answered.

“She got her own troubles.” Marie smiled.

Indeed, Marie was correct.

Columbia began to cry as she saw Odo approach. Gamilla and Marjani looked in the direction of Columbia’s gaze as Odo worked his way through the crowded chamber below decks where the African passengers had done their best to make a comfortable place to sleep during the voyage.

Marjani’s eyes widened as she realized what was happening. Her mind flooded with pictures—Giovanni menacing the Duke, Adrienne facing Ulrika, Marie teasing Gerard and Charles.

“Holy Mother,” Marjani whispered. “We need ya more now than ever.”

As Marjani prayed, elsewhere, on the deck of the ship, Barbara Allen looked out over the water, tears running down her face and laughter in her throat. “It’s time,” she said aloud. “It’s time to make them all suffer.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-455? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: