Friday, February 10, 2012

Unusual Artifacts: A Slide of Punch and Joey the Clown

Magic Lantern Slide
Theobald & Co., Nineteenth Century
The George Speaight Punch & Judy Archive
The Victoria & Albert Museum



Here’s another hand-colored glass Magic Lantern slide, number nine of a set of twelve, by Theobald & Co. depicting Mr. Punch and Joey the Clown.



The following text accompanies the slide during a magic lantern show:



Hullo! here’s my friend the clown. What cheer, Joey, what a mouth you have got to be sure. Don’t open it any wider, or I might fall down and hurt myself.

Joey: Oh, Mr. Punch, you’re in for it. They say you’ve killed your baby. I saw the beadle coming down the street.

Punch: Oh dear, oh dear, whatever shall I do. I say, Joey, you go and tell him I’m not at home, say I’m ill, say I’m busy, say anything, but keep him off.


The set was made in England in the late Nineteenth Century.

No comments: