Friday, March 2, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 477

Zettie smiled at Mrs. Cage who slowly opened her eyes.  Removing the damp cloth from Mrs. Cage’s head, Zettie said gently.  “Your fever done broke, Mrs. Cage.  It’s a miracle.  The doctor done said so.”

“Miracle?”  Mrs. Cage whispered.  “That’s a word that’s never been used to describe me before.”

“Ain’t just no one gonna beat the Yellow Jack.  I ‘spect the angel’s is on your side.”  Zettie nodded.  “Doc said you must be one strong lady.”

“I’m not.”  Mrs. Cage responded.

“Sure you is.”  Zettie continued.  “But, you’re modest.  That’s what a gentle lady should be.  Now, you just rest.”

Mrs. Cage nodded slowly.

“Go on, close your eyes.”  Zettie said firmly.  “You may not be feverish, but you still weak.”

“Zettie, thank you for all you’ve done for me.”

“Ain’t nothin’.”  Zettie smiled sweetly.  “It’s my pleasure to take care of ya.”

“And, what of Mr. Cage?  Is it a pleasure to look after him?”

“Well, ma’am.  Ain’t my place for to take care of Mr. Cage.  That’s Odo’s lot.”

“How is my husband?”

“Odo’s with him now.  Just got back.”

“From where?”  Mrs. Cage asked.

“Don’t rightly know.”  Zettie said.  “It ain’t nothin’ for you to fret ‘bout.”

“Is he very angry—Mr. Cage?”

“Angry?”

“Well, it’s not usually considered good form for a woman to shoot her husband.”

“Aw, he’s knows you didn’t mean nothin’.”  Zettie answered.  “You was all ate up with the fever.  Ain’t nobody gonna blame ya for what ya done.”

Mrs. Cage chuckled sadly.  “How’s my boy?”

“Master Orman’s been up and about today.”

“Causing trouble?”

“No more than usual.”  Zettie looked away.  “Poor boy.  He’s just spirited.  Pity he ain’t got a brother for to play with no more.”

“Yes.”  Mrs. Cage sighed.  “You know that that baby is better off with the Duke.”

“I know that jus’ fine, Missus.  I don’t think Mr. Cage feels the same.”

“No, he doesn’t.”  Mrs. Cage said.

“Don’t you worry none.”  Zettie patted Mrs. Cage’s hand.  “You done the right thing.”

“Thank you, Zettie.”

“Ain’t nothin’.”  Zettie smiled.  “You rest.  I’ll be back in a spell.”

Zettie left the room and as she did, she walked past Mr. Cage’s door just in time to see Odo exiting.

“You leavin’ already?”  Zettie snapped at Ty Odo.

“Done my bit.”  Odo nodded.

“Sure you done.”  Zettie scowled.

“You hush.  I got  ‘portant business for to do for the master.”

“Like what?”  Zettie growled.

“I’m goin’ to get his baby for him.”  Odo winked.




Did you miss Chapters 1-476?  If so, you can read them here.  

No comments: