Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 480

Come closer, Odo,”  Edward Cage growled from his bed.  His face seemed to glow in the pale, filtered light of the morning which soaked into the room through the yellowed lace curtains.

Odo, for a moment, was afraid to approach his master.  Nevertheless, his fear of punishment was even greater and he slowly walked forward.

“How ya feelin’ today, Mr. Cage?”  Odo asked.

“I’m in damned pain!”  Edward Cage barked.  “You want to try getting shot and tell me how you feel afterwards?”

“No, Sir.”  Odo shook his head quickly.  “Can I get ya anythin’?”

“No!”  Edward snapped.  “What news have you for me?”

“News, Sir?”

“Yes, you imbecile!  Have you forgotten the assignment I gave you yesterday?”

“Oh, no, Sir.”  Odo responded.  “I did ‘xactly what you done said.”

“Tell me.”  Edward coughed.

“Well, Sir, I went to the docks like you done said.  The ship captain, he don’t know nothin’ ‘bout where the Duke and his party done went since they was travelin’ incog…incognero…”

“Incognito!”  Edward spat.

“That’s it.”  Odo smiled.  “But, Odo, he’s not one to give you.  So, I went lookin’ ‘round for folk who might’ve seen ‘em.”

“And?”

“And, I done found ‘em!  I come back all the way in a hurry for to tell ya, but you done went to sleep already.  Must be the med’cin the doctor gave ya for the pain, makes ya sleepy.”

“Where are they?”

“They’s at Marie Laveau’s house, Sir.”  Odo grinned.

“You’re not serious?”  Edward laughed.  “The man really is mad!  And, the child…”

“Little Holt’s there, too, Sir.  Want for me to go fetch him?”

“No, certainly not.”  Edward grumbled.  “We must be more careful than just rushing in and snatching the child.”

“What you want me to do?”  Odo asked.

“To begin with, bring my wife to me.”  Edward responded.

“Mrs. Cage?”  Odo asked.

“How many wives do I have?”  Edward shouted.  “Of course Mrs. Cage!  She’s no longer fevered.  Bring her to me!”

“I don’t know if Zettie will…”

“I don’t care what Zettie will allow!”  Edward yelled, interrupting Odo.  “Bring her to me!”

“Yes, Sir.”  Odo nodded.  He paused..waiting before he left.

“Well?”

Odo smiled, expecting his master to praise him for his good work.

“Get!”  Edward bellowed.

Odo scampered from the room, broken-hearted.  “You done brought up my hopes again, Mr. Cage,”  he muttered to himself.  “It ain’t gonna happen ‘gain!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-479?  If so, you can read them here.  

No comments: