Friday, March 9, 2012

Unusual Artifacts: Another Glass Magic Lantern Slide

Magic Lantern Slide by Theobald & Co.
Hand-painted glass.
Nineteenth Century
The Victoria & Albert Museum





Number eight of the set of twelve Theobald & Co. Magic Lantern slides at the V&A, this hand-painted glass slide depicts our Mr. Punch attempting to ride a donkey.  It’s this awkward ride which leads to a terrible fall and Mr. Punch’s traditional declaration of “Oh, dear!  Oh, dear!  I’m dead.  I’m sure of it.”  Even after the doctor tells him that he’s not dead, Mr. Punch cannot be convinced.

The following text accompanies the slide during a magic lantern show:

Punch: Oh dear, oh dear, I do hope I haven’t hurt it. I thought the nurse was down below. Heigh, ho! what shall I do? I know, I’ll get on my moke and go for a ride. Gee up, Neddie, now don’t be a donkey, on you go. What! you will kick will you, don’t kick up a row anyhow, old chap. Let’s be friends. Don’t you understand? Your ears are long enough. Give poor old Punch a proper ride, you rascal, or I’ll sell you off cheap.

No comments: