Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Object of the Day: The Sketch





Hello, all.  Happy May Day.  As we enter this new month, I thought I’d share with you a gift my mom and dad recently gave me.  It’s another edition of “The Sketch.”  This one dates to February 3, 1909—the tail end of the reign of King Edward VII.

The Sketch was a British illustrated newspaper weekly.  The periodical’s main focus was which on high society and the aristocracy. The magazine ran for 2,989 issues between 1 February 1893 and 17 June 1959 and was produced by the Illustrated London News Company. 

If you’ll recall a few weeks ago when I shared with you the first copy of The Sketch that I received, the article of most interest to me was one about the evolution of Mr. Punch.  The Sketch was primarily a society magazine and boasted regular features on royalty and the aristocracy, theatre, cinema and art studies.

The periodical had a high photographic content with many studies of society ladies and their children and events of interest, especially those involving the Royal family who were featured in a special section each week.  In fact, it’s for that reason that my parents gave this magazine.  There’s a nifty article about the Royals with photos showing the female members of the Royal Family giving piggy-back rides to their children, most notably, for me, Mary of Teck who would, in just a year after this was published, become Queen Mary.

Let’s take a look inside...






















No comments: