Monday, June 4, 2012

Object of the Day: Postcard of the Coronation of T.M. King George VI and Queen Elizabeth

BBC News



This week at Stalking the Belle Époque, we are celebrating the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. So, I’ll be trotting out many pieces from my own collection of Royal memorabilia so that we can honor Her Majesty and look at the history which led to the start of H.M.’s historic, long reign. The only other regent to have enjoyed such a long reign is Queen Victoria. I wonder what Victoria would have to say about her ancestor’s Diamond Jubilee. 




Here’s an odd note. On Saturday, I was sitting here in my office. Above the red chair where Bertie and I often sit hangs an enormous framed, printed handkerchief from the Golden Jubilee (fifty years = 1887). As I was eating my dinner and contemplating how to best celebrate Queen Elizabeth’s Jubilee, the artifact literally sprang off the wall and landed on my head. The glass didn’t break and the handkerchief wasn’t damaged (and I just have a bump on my head). Only the frame was broken—having actually sprung apart on the wall. On her way down, Victoria took with her two antique lithographs of King George V and Queen Mary. After assessing that noting was broken and confirming that I didn’t have a concussion, I began to wonder about this odd occurrence. Was Victoria letting me know that she didn’t want me to make too much of a fuss about the current Queen? “We’ll see,” as my father says (who also kindly repaired the damaged frame for me). In the meantime, let’s carry on. The house is filled with artifacts from the reign of Queen Victoria, so if any more of them attack me, we’ll have our answer.

And, so, let’s begin. 




This postcard from 1937 shows an image of the Royal Family following the coronation of King George VI (the present Queen’s papa, son of King George V and Queen Mary, and brother of the Great Kerfuffler ™, King Edward VIII, whose place he took when “David” chose Wallis Simpson over the throne) and Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother). The sepia-toned photo is attributed to May Wrightson.

The inscription reads:

CORONATION OF T.M. KING GEORGE VI & QUEEN ELIZABETH 

CROWNED, WESTMINSTER ABBEY, 12th May, 1937. Official Portrait taken at Buckingham Palace.

T.M. QUEEN MARY, KING GEORGE VI & QUEEN ELIZABETH

T.R.H. PRINCESS ROYAL, DUKE & DUCHESS OF GLOUCESTER, DUKE AND DUCHESS OF KENT, H.M. QUEEN OF NORWAY

T.R.H. PRINCESS MARGARET ROSE AND PRINCESS ELIZABETH 




On the reverse, we see:

J. BEAGLES & CO., Ltd. E.C. 1., PRINTERS & PUBLISHERS,

GUARANTEED REAL PHOTOGRAPH 



This is the perfect image for us to begin our Diamond Jubilee festivities. First of all, Queen Mary (who looks positively splendid) was very proud the moment this image was taken. Not only had Her Majesty just navigated her way through her eldest son’s foolishness to see her second son ascend the throne, she did so knowing that her favorite granddaughter, Princess Elizabeth (now Queen) would one day take her rightful place as Queen. The King’s sister and two of his brothers have joined the family with their spouses. And, best of all the two children of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother) take their place at the center of the group.


Look how regal Princess Elizabeth looks! She is mostly unchanged. Standing there in Buckingham Palace in 1937, on the occasion of her father’s coronation, I wonder what was going through the young princess’ mind. Did she think that someday she would have her picture taken in the same spot on the day of her own coronation? Did she have any idea that in 2012 the world would collectively honor her sixty years on the throne? We’ll never know. However, we can see the reality.

Her Majesty has bravely, gracefully and beautifully led Britain since her father’s death in 1952. In doing so, she had upheld Queen Mary’s beliefs and sensibilities while navigating through countless tragedies and triumphs. Her Majesty’s performance as Monarch is a reminder of the importance of the monarchy and an inspiration to any and all who can recognize the brilliance of her career.

Personally, I think Queen Victoria would be proud. Let’s hope so—at least for my own safety.

BBC News

Now, I’ve tried and tried to embed this video here, but the BBC doesn’t want me to. So, I’d like to attract your attention to this lovely video of the musical finale of the magnificent jubilee flotilla which took place yesterday. It’s truly a joy to watch. Even in the cold and driving rain, millions of Britons came out to honor their Queen. So, the least we can do is click on a link. Just make sure to come back here when you’re finished!

No comments: