Monday, June 4, 2012

Treat of the Week: Diamond Jubilee Cake and Ice Cream



In honor of Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee, my mother created a new recipe. This handsome and delicious coffee cake is alive with the rich flavor of apple butter. Raisins afford a little kick to each bit and walnuts blend into the flavor palette with a mellow smoothness.





The cake is topped with a streusel topping which offers the contrasting texture one expects from a coffee cake as well as introduces a beautiful brown sugar and cinnamon note to the dessert. It is, indeed, a delight. And, a sugar glaze atop the whole thing makes it all the more regal. 


The cake was served with homemade vanilla ice cream. Glorious fresh, pitted cherries offer a brilliant color contrast, putting us in mind of the Union Jack, and introduce a tone of a springtime celebration. Rich, homemade chocolate sauce and whipped cream are the crown on this ultimate celebratory dessert.















13 comments:

April said...

I think this is the best thing I've seen all day

Gene said...

What a nice celebration.

Book Gurl said...

God save the Queen! I think she'd like this!

Mark said...

What a lovely dessert and quite an honour. I'm sure the Queen would like it.

Marsha said...

Looks wonderful!

Kathy said...

Beatiful!

Barry said...

Too, too grand. I love it.

Matt said...

Where's my fork? : )

Matt said...

...and spoon!

Carolyn said...

Ah, to be Queen for a day. Or even just lunch.

Fran said...

Does it count if you're from Queens? Can I get some of this for that?

Angelo said...

ID LIKE SOME OF THART ICE CREAM RIGHT NOW.

Barb said...

Again I'm very impressed.