Friday, July 13, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 86


Chapter 86: 
Picnic 



Mr. Punch looked up at the pine trees which surrounded the little clearing where he, Robert, Gerard, Gamilla, Colin and Dog Toby had stopped. “Coo!” he murmured.

“What is it, Dear Punch?” Robert asked.

“Don’t got green like that in London.” Punch smiled. He took Colin’s wee hand in his own and pointed upward to the trees. The child, who sat in Punch’s lap, followed his hand with his eyes. “Look at them trees, Colin.” Punch grinned. “That color is what’s called green. Can you say green?”

“Punch.” Colin replied firmly.

“Good enough.” Punch chuckled.

Gerard and Gamilla spread a multi-colored quilt over the pine needles which covered the deep-brown earth. Kneeling down, Gamilla began to arrange, on the quilt, the carefully packed items which Mrs. Pepper had gathered for them in a large wicker basket. She couldn’t help but smile at the array of delicacies which Mrs. Pepper had packed: boiled eggs, brined olives and pickles, a dense cake of cherries and brandy, little sandwiches of rich chicken paste and finely-chopped nuts on brown bread, oranges, grapes and candied fruits glistening with sugar. Carafes of wine and fruit juice were joined by a tea kettle and small burner, a tea pot, an earthenware container of milk, and a delicate tin of Colin’s favorite biscuits. Wedges of cheese had been wrapped in a crisp white cloth as had a loaf of fresh, crusty bread.

“Look at all that,” Mr. Punch chirped gaily.

“I’m starved,” Robert nodded. “All this walking. I don’t recall ever eating this much.”

“You gentlemen are gonna enjoy this.” Gamilla began.

“We’re all goin’ to enjoy it, Gamilla.” Mr. Punch smiled.

“Oh, Sir.” Gerard shook his head. “We couldn’t.”

“Of course you can,” Robert interrupted. “You can and you will. We invited you to join us, and we want you to sit and enjoy yourselves.”

Gerard and Gamilla exchanged glances.

“You’d best do as the doctor says.” Mr. Punch teased. “You know what a temper he’s got.”

“It’s true.” Robert replied, deadpan. “I’m an ogre.”

Gamilla sniffed.

“I know what you’re thinkin’.” Mr. Punch said quickly.

“Sir?” Gamilla’s eyes widened.

“You was thinkin’ ‘bout Iolanthe Evangeline.” Mr. Punch nodded.

“I was.” Gamilla sighed. “’The Elegant Ogress.’”

“Sure made us suffer, that one.” Mr. Punch mumbled. “But, it’s all in the past.”

“Yes, it is, Sir.” Gamilla nodded, settling onto the quilt next to Gerard who had already made himself comfortable.

“I’ll make the tea, Your Grace.” Gerard volunteered.

“Thank you, Gerard.”

Gamilla began to remove the teacups which had been packed into the basket. She chuckled.

“What’s funny, Gamilla?” Robert asked.

“There’s four cups.” Gamilla grinned. “I reckon Mrs. Pepper knew you’d invite us to join ya.”

“She’s a wise lady.” Mr. Punch replied. “So, Gamilla, what do ya think o’ Scotland? I know you ain’t seen a lot of it what with bein’ in the nursery most of the time in place o’ Miss Barrett. But, you seen a little now.”

“It’s beautiful, Your Grace.” Gamilla sighed contentedly. “Reminds me a bit of some o’ the land in Marionneaux only—well…it’s so tall here. I mean, it’s high up. And them mountains, Sir…” She shook her head. “You know, Sirs, I done seen a lot o’ the world. From Africa to America and now to England and Scotland. I never thought it. Never, never. I’m a very lucky girl. Most girls like me never get to see a thing. But, thanks to you and Dr. Halifax, I done seen mountains and oceans and palaces. I’m sleepin’ in a castle! A castle. Like one o’ them princesses in the stories Colin likes me to read to him.”

Robert nodded. “His Grace has made a lot of things possible for all of us.”

“Ah,” Punch shook his head. “I ain’t done nothin’.”

Robert patted his companion’s knee and shook his head. “You’ll never understand.”

Gerard cautiously reached for one of the small sandwiches.

“Go on, Gerry.” Punch giggled. “We want you to eat.”

“Thank you, Sir.” Gerard answered.

Gamilla looked at him with pride.

Gerard blushed. “This has turned out to be a fine day.”

“It’s one I know I’ll always remember. I’m gonna write ‘bout it in my journal.” Gamilla said softly.

“You keep a journal, Gamilla?” Robert asked. “I didn’t know.”

“This will be the first day, Sir. Miss Barrett gave it to me.”

“How nice,” Robert replied, trying to mask his distaste for anything related to the governess. “Gamilla, I think that’s a grand idea. It’ll be good for you to write down your thoughts. I’ve kept a journal since I met Mr. Pun…errr…His Grace. I enjoy looking back at the times we’ve shared and recalling what he said and how he looked.”

“Do you keep a journal, Your Grace?’ Gamilla asked.

“No.” Punch shook his head as he offered a biscuit to Colin. “Not writin’. I do draw pictures to remember times. I got all sorts of sketches of this and that. I’ll prob’ly sketch this little picnic later.”

“I wish I could draw like you so, Sir.” Gamilla smiled.

“Well, maybe you can.” Punch responded. “If you try. I’ll give you a sketch pad and some colors. Who knows? With that and the journal what Miss Barrett gave ya, you may have a beautiful record of your excitin’ life. It’s somethin’ what could be of use to other girls like you sometime in days to come.”

“A charming thought, dear Punch.” Robert said affectionately.

“What made Miss Barrett give ya such a thing?” Gerard asked. “Seems like an awful nice thing for her to do for no reason. Never really thought of her as too generous.”

“She’s my friend, Gerry.” Gamilla said softly.

“I know, she is ‘Milla. I don’t mean no harm.”

Gamilla nodded. “I seen her in her room readin’ one of her own journals and she gave me one of my own.”

“See?” Punch nodded. “Miss Barrett does have her kind moments. I know she’s been strange lately, but she’s always been so good to Colin.”

“She’s just not too nice to you, Sir.” Gerard frowned.

“Only a couple o’ times.” Punch shook his head.

“Do you think she’ll be terrible sick for much longer, Dr. Halfiax?” Gamilla asked nervously.

“I certainly hope not.” Robert shrugged. “It would be nice for her to return to her duties so that you can enjoy some of your time here more.”

“Oh, Sir.” Gamilla shook her head. “Ain’t nothin’ I like more than bein’ with Master Colin.”

Punch nodded. “That’s true, it is. I seen how you love him. I can’t thank you enough.”

Gamilla looked down modestly.

Punch and Robert watched Gerard gaze at the young woman with palpable affection. The two men exchanged amused glances.

Robert took a deep breath and cleared his throat. “I must say, dear Punch,” he began, “that this holiday was very much needed. I’m very glad that you suggested it.”

“Well, Chum,” Punch answered. “Can’t wait for life to give us the peace what we need. We gotta take it when we can. So, here we are. I’m feelin’ better. Colin seems to like it here. Got you to wear a kilt. I think the staff is enjoyin’ their time. You are, aren’t you, Gerry?”

“Yes, Sir.” Gerard replied thoughtfully. “I think it’s lovely here. It’s so big. I’ve gotten lost in the castle more than once.”

“You’ll get used to it.” Mr. Punch chuckled.

“Will we stay here long, Sir?” Gerard asked.

“You miss London, don’t you?” Robert smiled.

“I like the house in Belgrave Square, Sir. I like when it’s just us downstairs and you and His Grace upstairs.”

“Belgrave Square is my first real home, too.” Robert nodded. “I understand what you mean.”

“Please don’t mistake me, Your Grace. I’m so happy to be here.”

Punch held up his hand. “No reason to ‘xplain, Gerry. I know. We’ll go home soon. Maybe in another two weeks. But, I think we needed this break, we did. If it helps, I miss our house in London, too. But, we got lots to do here, too. And, if we wait a little, all the fuss what we left behind will have died down. I think two weeks is ‘nough. By then Their Majesties are gonna want me back and, the Queen will want Dr. Halifax to look in on her, I’m sure.”

Robert sighed. “It seems so far away. Last night, I awoke and…” Robert flushed slightly. “I became alarmed. I…had had a nightmare about you being ill. Whoever poisoned you, dear Punch. I…”

“But, I’m well, Robert.” Mr. Punch interrupted.

“I know.” Robert said quietly. “I had to…I…had to look at you…I…” He looked awkwardly at Gerard and Gamilla.

“Sir, we know you sleep in the Duke’s room.” Gerard chuckled.

Robert blushed. “And, it’s not just the Duke’s illness. All of that foolishness with Hortence and…Mr. Stover. Just such a tragedy.”

“And, that Roger Barrett.” Gerard grumbled.

“Yes, Mr. Barrett, too.”

“I gotta say, Sirs, Miss Barrett ought to be more grateful for all you done for her family.” Gerard frowned, pausing to take another bite of his sandwich.

“Oh, I think she’s grateful.” Punch said. “I don’t think she’s used to folk helpin’ her out. I don’t think she knows how to show her gratitude so well. Some people don’t.”

“You always find the good in people.” Robert replied affectionately.

“Try to.” Punch shrugged. “It ain’t always easy. We four, and Charles, too. Only we know what kind of monsters we faced in America. It weren’t so easy to find good in some o’ them folks—like that ogress what Gamilla just remembered. But, even the most wicked has a shred o’ somethin’ decent in ‘em. Look at Marie Laveau, Chum. She turned out to be our friend.”

“True.” Robert nodded.

“But, let’s not dwell on them folk.” Mr. Punch sighed. “Presently, we’re in a good place. We got friends and food and safety.” Punch chortled. “Look at Dog Toby, then. That’s the way to do it! Layin’ here in the sun, lettin’ me feed him little morsels. Sniffin’ the air. We should be more like Dog Toby. Always happy to see what comes next, but more so content with what he’s got.”

“I think I’m a lot like Dog Toby, Sir.” Gerard smiled slightly.

“You’re jus’ as scruffy.” Gamilla teased.

“Not so much as I used to be.” Gerard replied, rubbing his chin. “Rather miss my beard.”

“Not me.” Gamilla shook her head.

“I thought you liked how it tickled.” Gerard joked. He then looked shocked at what he had just said in front of the masters. “Oh…I…”

Punch laughed.

Gerard took another sandwich. “I’ll, uhhh…pour the tea, then.”

“That’ll be fine, Gerard.” Robert winked.

A cool, stiff wind, blew across their picnic. Punch squinted and shivered slightly, wrapping his coat around Colin who remained in his lap. He looked up at the rustling pine needles and, for a moment, went pale.

“Punch?” Robert looked up.

“Hmmm…”

“Are you unwell?”

“No, not at all.” Punch smiled weakly. “I…I was just remembering somethin’. But, I don’t know what. Does that make sense?”

“Yes.” Robert nodded.

“Do you want to walk back, Sir?” Gamilla asked.

“No.” Punch shook his head. “I’ll drink me tea and all will be well. Ain’t gonna let a little breeze ruin our outing.”

Robert studied his companion.

“I’m fine.” Punch whispered. “I promise.” He grinned broadly. “Now, everyone better eat what they want cuz I’m ‘bout to start and there may not be nothin’ left by the time I’m done.”

The other three chuckled.

Mr. Punch tried to hide another shiver as he reached forward to fill his plate.



Did you miss Chapters 1-85? If so, you can read them
here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 87 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square.

9 comments:

Darcy said...

Beautiful chapter, the bond of friendship between these characters is so easy to see through your writing style.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Darvy!

Matt said...

Very sweet scene.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I appreciate that, Matt.

Joseph Crisalli said...

By the way, Darcy, sorry for misspelling your name. Slip on the keyboard.

Book Gurl said...

What a charming double date and one which would have been frowned upon at the time. I'm glad these four had a chance to have a peaceful, happy moment....especially with Finlay and Ellen lurking around.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Well, as Mr. Punch said, they have to take their peace where they can.

Gene said...

I enjoy these quiet moments for them. What's bothering Mr. Punch? This is the second time he has been troubled by something outside.

Joseph Crisalli said...

You're very observant, Gene. We shall soon find out more.