Friday, July 13, 2012

Mr. Punch's Puzzles: The Riddle of the Week











Once, again, Mr. Punch, with my help, is offering up a true Victorian riddle.  The first person to answer correctly--by posting in the comments--will receive public congratulations.  

So, here's this week's riddle.  We ask that you don't Google the answer.  Mr. Punch would not find that sporting at all.  Give it a shot and see what you can come up with.  Yes, it's another long one.  Here we go... No cheating...

Though it be cold, I wear no clothes,
The frost and snow I never fear;
I value neither shoes nor hose,
And yet I wander far and near:
My diet is forever good,
I drink no cider, port, nor sack,
What Providence doth send for food,
I neither buy, nor sell, nor lack





And, the winner is...



Dashwood who answered "Fish."  Many thanks to everyone who answered with special mention to April, Darcy, Shawn and Gene!  Come back next Friday for another of Mr. Punch's Puzzles!








Mr. Punch wants you to always know “the way to do it,” so why not check out our “That’s the way to do it!” products which are available only at our online store?

22 comments:

April said...

It's Roundy the Drunken Snowman. He comes to life every winter to slaughter the Christmas lamb.

Joseph Crisalli said...

That's my favorite carol!

Shawn said...

Oooo! I like that, April, a little "Silent Night, Deadly Night!" It could also be a meth-addicted, zombie Rudolph come to exact his revenge on those who excluded him from the reindeer games...

Joseph Crisalli said...

Well, that makes perfect sense.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Matt's answer--posted accidentally in the wrong spot--was a chilly hippie.

Matt said...

I got too excited. Sorry!

Darcy said...

It's Fred, the nudist Zamboni walking home after working all day at the rink.

Sam P said...

I'm excited too!!! OK, maybe not that excited. I think this is a love poem from some Victorian berry-eating nudist.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Because there was a prominent group just like that at the time. Just marching around London, plucking berries and being nude.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Darcy! Fred the nudist Zamboni is my OTHER favorite Christmas carol! Have you seen the Rankin-Bass Puppetoon version? It's fascinating!

Gene said...

It's a religious polar bear.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Perhaps. The Most Reverend Poe L'Arbere was the Dean of Westminster for awhile in 1837.

Sally said...

I love this game. Everyone is so funny. My answer is it's a church mouse.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Well that's what the Dean of Westminster would eat when he was a polar bear.

Book Gurl said...

It's a crocodile like from Punch and Judy.

Joseph Crisalli said...

And, it's going to eat you.

Carolyn said...

My first thought was that Angelo wouldn't want to read the whole riddle. Personally I like the Zamboni idea best. If I had to answer I would say it was a puppy.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Puppies are always good. And, yes, I did worry about Angelo, too. I'll try to alternate short riddles and long riddles.

Angelo said...

Was just going to say this is too long. LOL. Thanks Carolyn.

Joseph Crisalli said...

See, Angelo. We know you. It's family.

Dashwood said...

Fish. Contemplative, feetless, fish. Near Rhode Island.

Joseph Crisalli said...

And, we have a winner...

The correct answer is a FISH.