Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Object of the Day, Caption Contest: A Trade Card for Fertilizer

Click image to enlarge.



Well, this makes perfect sense. It’s a gourd with a woman’s head. At least she’s wearing a bonnet and boots, as one does when one is an anthropomorphic vegetable marrow.

We actually know what this trade card is advertising. It’s a Victorian ad for fertilizer. I’d say it dates to about 1880.

Let’s see what the reverse says:


FEED THE LAND AND IT WILL FEED YOU.
-----------------------------------
BUY 
L.L. CROCKER’S 
BUFFALO HONEST FERTILIZERS, 
Ammoniated Bone Super-Phosphates, 
AND 
PURE GROUND BONES

      These goods have now been tried for over eleven years, are the best 
Standard Fertilizers in the market, and are thoroughly reliable. Send for 
Circular to nearest Agent, or to 

L.L. Crocker’s Buffalo Fertilizer and Chemical Works, Buffalo, N.Y. 



There’s no mention as to the nature of these pure ground bones. We can only presume they’re not coming from vagrants. But, at least they’re ammoniated. Whew! That’s a relief. 

Now, that's what you expect from an honest fertilizer.  

Click image to enlarge.


So, while I don’t usually have a caption contest for cards which tell us their business, I’m going to break the rules since we don’t get many chances to expound upon the thoughts of a woman-headed gourd.

You know how it works. Let’s put your captions, comments, and observations in the comments.

And, go…


26 comments:

April said...

I wonder if the bones in fertilizer are from this race of gourd women. Feed the land and it will feed you seems more ominous now doesn't it?

P.S. Can I have this card?

Joseph Crisalli said...

Now, I wonder. I think I've seen their descendants at the grocery store--shopping.

P.S. No.

Sam P said...

I can't wait for Gene to compare this creature to his mother in law. I had an acting teacher who looked like this. I just feel bad for the thing because obviously she can't find clothes that fit only shoes and hats. Kinda like my former teacher.

Joseph Crisalli said...

It's a niche marker.

Carolyn said...

I think I had the same acting coach. She smelled like a barnyard.

You know this vegetable woman was always told the dreaded, 'but you have such a pretty face.'

Joseph Crisalli said...

And such a good personality.

Oh, and I meant "market" above in response to Sam's comment.

Dashwood said...

Now what know what gives the Kardhashians their shape.

Buffalo Booty.

April's right, though, about their rather Soylent Green motto. CROCKERS IS PEOPLE!!!!!!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Bruce Jenner would marry this thing. I think that you've got the basis for a new film there, Dashwood.

Matt said...

This gave me a good chuckle while I'm sitting in this awful waiting room. I think she's a beautiful monster. Joseph where's Mr. Punch's chapter. I want my chapter!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Give me five minutes, Matt. I do have a company to run in between things. : ) And, yes, in her way, she is a beautiful monster.

Angelo said...

I dated her sister.

Joseph Crisalli said...

You're such a colorful man, Angelo.

Gene said...

The comparison is true.

Joseph Crisalli said...

We all suspected so.

Barb said...

I'm going to have nightmares.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Me too, but not about this.

Bonnie said...

She's got good skin for a freak.

Joseph Crisalli said...

From the neck up.

Mark said...

I was going to say it was Gene's wife's mother.

Joseph Crisalli said...

We're all in agreement, then.

Darcy said...

We all seem to have met this woman. I know her too. You see this woman just has to be my 8th grade guidance counselor. Who knew we all have met Gene's mother in law. It's a small scary world!

Joseph Crisalli said...

She's in the very air we breathe.

Gene said...

I am glad everyone understands.

Joseph Crisalli said...

We do.

Marsha said...

That is so weird. I'll bet that's what Ellen from your book looks like with her clothes off.

Joseph Crisalli said...

And a little bit with them on.