Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Object of the Day, Caption Contest: Hogg, Brown and Taylor Dry Goods

Click on image to be frightened.



This is my greatest fear. I live in terror that in the kitchen of any restaurant are children in puffy hats licking my pudding.

I’m serious. This is terrifying. Look at it. It’s bad enough that the little girl is chowing down on from a giant mixing bowl, but, worse still are the two boys. One is licking an oversized spoon while the other…the other…

Shudder.

You can see for yourself the evil afoot here.

The illustration is labeled “Reussi Le Nougat.” I think that means, “Licking Your Pudding.”

So, when I first came upon this trade card, I wondered what it could be advertising. I’d never have guessed that it was a card for “Dry Goods.” There’s nothing dry about this image.

However, on the reverse, it says:

COMPLIMENTS OF 
HOGG, BROWN & TAYLOR 
DRY GOODS 
477 TO 481 WASHINGTON ST. 
BOSTON 

Let’s have a caption contest. Answers in the comments section, please. Let’s see if you think it’s as terrifying as I do.


18 comments:

Matt said...

The Health Department of Boston in the 1800s had the strangest rules.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I can see that.

April said...

This is why I won't order jello anywhere.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Do restaurants serve jello?

Sam P said...

This IS just disgusting. Why do people think this kind of picture is cute?

Joseph Crisalli said...

Because they're also pudding lickers.

Angelo said...

I'd do that.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I'm not surprised.

Darcy said...

Auntie Gertrude"s School of Etiquette and Culinary Arts

Who needs hygiene? After all this is the 19th century. We have perfume and patent medicine. So, we can cure smells and scrofula in the blink of an eye.
So here at Auntie Gert's we train our little chefs to be free spirits. Lick the spoon stir with your feet. It's all ok with Gert.
They say "the proof is in the pudding" so why not have a taste?

Joseph Crisalli said...

HA! That really got me laughing!

Carolyn said...

The Lollipop Guild didn't know how long they would continue to cut their trail of terror through Boston and they didn't care.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Shudder!

Gene said...

It could be an ad for rat poison.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Dark, Gene...dark.

Barb said...

I'd smack them with that spoon.

Joseph Crisalli said...

How very Punch-like of you.

Dashwood said...

Oh, come on, Joseph. With a baker like your Mom, didn't you ever sneak into the kitchen and just start licking cakes and huffing down icing with wild-eyed abandon????

I damn near licked the computer screen on Monday with your Mom's anniversary cake.

Sooo. Is this some picture of your ancestors???? Hmmmmm?????

Joseph Crisalli said...

I come from eaters, not lickers. I have never done what you suggest. Don't forget, it's only been in the last few months that I could eat a sandwich with my hands.