Monday, September 10, 2012

Treat of the Week: A Yankee Blueberry Buckle




Even though in the last week here, Summer has raised its middle finger and offered us some extra truly insufferable days of 104 degree temperatures, I continue to look forward to what passes as “Autumn” in Texas and the slightly cooler temperatures before the abrupt introduction of winter.

Though I spent the last week sweating and grumbling, I was reminded of the good things yet to come by this week’s “Treat of the Week” which introduced the flavors of fall to my eager palette.

This Sunday’s meal began with lovely ravioli with a sauce of fresh herbs and mushrooms. I especially enjoyed the sumptuous salad of lush greens, avocado, cheese, buts and luscious fruits. 



And, then, came the dessert. 



I’m a fan of Blueberry Buckle in general. But, this was a new recipe of my mother’s creation, and truly a welcome treat. Unlike the typical buckle, this one introduces spices to the cake which offer up hints of autumn to the cool taste of fresh blueberries. The crowning glory is the perfect crumb topping. While most crumb toppings tend to sink into the batter as the cake is baking, this one stayed right on top—giving each bite a tender crumble of cinnamon and brown sugar. Lovely, lovely, lovely.




13 comments:

Matt said...

Good, good, goooooooood stuff!

Carolyn said...

I'd unbuckle my belt for that buckle.

Gene said...

Very nice. Looks like a good meal.

Angelo said...

Man now I'm hungry.

Sam P said...

Mmmmmm...I would like some please.

April said...

That's perfection right there.

Mark said...

That I'd like to try.

Book Gurl said...

I really want a piece of that buckle. That looks so tasty.

Marsha said...

I realllllly like buckle and this one looks especially good.

Barb said...

Yummy. Nothing on that table I wouldn't eat happily.

Beth Ann said...

One of my favorites.

Barry said...

Looks divine!

Wendy said...

I love blueberries