Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 161


Chapter 161: 
Of Little Comfort 


Before we do anythin’ else, we gotta get the three o’ ya outta here.” Mr. Punch said quickly. “Come with us and we’ll go back to the Grange.”

“Your Grace,” Lennie interrupted. “Perhaps you and your…”

“Oh.” Mr. Punch shook his head. “Dr. Robert Henry Halifax, my companion, this is…well, I’m told she’s my sister—Ellen.”

Robert nodded.

“Please, call me Lennie.”

“That’ll make things a wee bit less confusin’,” Mr. Punch smiled. “’Til we get ever’thin’ straightened out.”

“That’s just it,” Lennie said. “I think you should take Charles and, ummm…”

“Violet!” Vi snapped.

“Yes, of course.” Lennie said quietly. “I think you should take them back to the main house.”

“And, you.”

“No. I’d best stay here. Should Ellen…” She paused. “It’s odd to say it. When did it become more natural to call her by my own name? I’ve not felt like I’ve been “Ellen” in quite some time. I’ve been Orpha, I’ve been Lennie.” She shrugged. “Nonetheless, I think it best that Ellen not return to find me missing. Not only will she be enraged with me, it will only serve to have her wish to further extend her ire to you.”

“Ain’t gonna be a problem.” Mr. Punch replied. He could feel Violet staring at him. “You’re not used to hearin’ me talk like this, Vi.”

“I like it, Sir.” Violet nodded. “But, what do you mean that Ellen is no longer a problem?”

“I killed her.” Mr. Punch smiled.

Lennie gasped and staggered backward.

“We think.” Robert added.

“You did, Sir?” Violet clapped her hands. “I know it’s wicked to be ‘appy ‘bout someone bein’ dead, but…”

“I know.” Mr. Punch nodded.

“Doctor,” Charles began. “You said that, you think…you think she’s dead?”

“His Grace is very certain that Ellen is dead. However, until we see her laid out, we can’t be entirely sure.”

“True,” Charles sighed.

“You…you’re all speaking of this so casually?” Lennie yelped. “The Duke has killed a woman—thinking she was his sister—and you’re all so matter-of-fact?”

“Well,” Mr. Punch began. “Don’t mean I don’t feel awful bad ‘bout it. But, the fact is, she were terrible to all of us. I killed her cuz she threatened me family.”

“But, you thought she was your sister!”

“I’d have killed Barbara, too, if I had to. If it meant protectin’ Robert and Colin. Colin’s our son, by the way. Or even if it meant protectin’ Charles or Vi or any of our chums. And, I knew for a fact Barbara were me sister. Wasn’t too sure ‘bout Ellen. Seems I were right to have doubts, too, since it weren’t true.”

“What does this mean for me?” Lennie stepped backward again. “You are mad! The rumors are true.”

“I ain’t mad.” Punch said quickly. “Not in the way you mean.”

“It’s not as if he’s gone about killing random people.” Charles muttered.

“His Grace just wants to take care of us.” Violet added.

“Lennie, you’ll find that His Grace is very generous.” Robert said. “I’ve been with the Duke as his companion for quite some time now and I find him to be highly gentle and loyal.”

“As long as he doesn’t feel threatened!” Lennie hissed. “And, why…why does he speak like this? Why does he speak in this rough manner? That’s not the way a Duke speaks, especially one that’s a favorite of the Crown.”

“Her Majesty likes when I talk like this.” Mr. Punch smiled.

“It’s true.” Robert nodded.

“You’re all mad!” Lennie howled. “If you cannot see that there’s something dreadfully wrong with this man, you’re all as mad as he is. This…this is my family? This!”

“Listen, Lennie, you ain’t showin’ us that you’re too stable yourself, honey.” Mr. Punch sighed. “Just settle down and we’ll go back to the Grange and talk ‘bout all this.”

“I wouldn’t go anywhere with you! Any of you! You condemn Orpha…or Ellen or… But, you’re all as demented as she is…was.”

“Miss, you’re defendin’ a woman what stole your name and ruined your reputation? A woman what left ya locked in a cellar to die and took over your life?” Violet asked.

“At least she had been my friend for years beforehand.” Lennie sobbed.

“Poor thing is all confused.” Mr. Punch whispered to Robert. He shook his head. “Carryin’ on like this, I’m sure she’s got Fallbridge blood in her. Only other two folk I ever saw what could make such a fuss were Barbara and our ma.”

Robert inhaled, nodding. “This is the truth.”

“Your Grace,” Violet urged. “Johnny Donnan’s gonna come back here and when he does, he’s gonna be awful angry to see ya here. Let’s please leave.”

“I agree.” Charles nodded.

“We can’t leave this girl here.” Mr. Punch shook his head.

“I didn’t think so either,” Charles replied. “But…” he pointed to her. “Look at her.”

“Coo, she is a mess.” Punch nodded. “But, I can’t leave her here to die. She’s me sister.”

“You already killed one woman you thought was your sister.” Lennie said through her tears.

“But…” Punch spoke up. “I already ‘xplained that now, I did. Weren’t killin’ just for sport, it weren’t. Can’t think of any reason I’d kill you. So, don’t worry. Not yet.”

“That’s, perhaps, of little comfort, Dear Punch.” Robert whispered to his companion.

“Bugger.” Punch muttered. He frowned and scratched his nose. “Well, I don’t know what else to say. Lennie, you can stay here if you want. But, your real pa, Johnny’s gonna come for ya. And, if you’re scared o’ me, you’ll be terrible scared o’ him. At least if you come back with us, you’ll be safe. Well, ‘cept that there might be a murderer in the house still. But, we got a nice baby and a dog and Mrs. Pepper will give ya tea and biscuits. That’s always nice. Oh! And, I got puppets—two of ‘em. I’ll make ‘em dance for ya!”

Lennie sank to the floor, now sobbing uncontrollably.

“Well, I thought most folks like puppets.” Punch whispered.

“Leave her, Sir.” Violet pleaded.

Punch looked to Robert. “Can’t ya do somethin’ doctor-y?”

“Perhaps,” Robert nodded.



Did you miss Chapters 1-160 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 162.


No comments: