Friday, October 26, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 174



Chapter 174
The Last Thing 



Finlay looked up hopefully as Gamilla entered the silver vault.

“Come to free me, then?” He asked.

Gamilla shook her head.

“You can at least get me somethin’ to keep me warm. This floor is cold.”

Again, Gamilla shook her head.

“Loosen these ropes, then.”

“Why’d I want to do that?”

“Have a heart, lass.” Finlay grumbled. “You know what it’s like to be bound, I’d wager.”

“I do.”

“Well, then.”

“No.” Gamilla snapped.

“I read ‘bout how your kind are always shoutin’ for freedom. Come on, then, you gotta understand.”

“Freedom is for the just.” Gamilla replied.

“I got deceived, too.” Finlay whined. “I’d no idea that Ellen wasn’t who she said she was.”

“Don’t change the fact that you done horrible things, Finlay Donnan. Don’t matter who you done ‘em for, you still done ‘em.”

“And you’re free of sin?” Finlay barked.

“I ain’t.” Gamilla responded.

“So who are you to judge me?”

“I’m one of the folk you done wronged.” Gamilla answered dryly.

“What did ya come in for, then?” Finlay snarled. “You come to taunt me like your friends did? You gonna tell me how you’re gonna make me into stew and how you’re gonna cut me up?”

“No.” Gamilla answered.

“Well, what, then?”

“I come to give ya your due.”

Finlay’s eyes widened. “What do ya mean?”

“I mean that you’re a bad man, Finlay Donnan.”

Finlay grunted.

“We got a way of dealin’ with bad men where I come from.”

“Where do ya come from, lass?” Finlay smirked. “Somewhere where the sun baked ya? You oughta be grateful you got proper clothes and food to eat ‘stead of rompin’ ‘bout in your all together, chewin’ on toads like a savage.”

“I am grateful for what I got.” Gamilla said. “Now. But, gettin’ here wasn’t such a fine time. You oughta be grateful, too, Finlay. You live in a castle and wear a nice suit of clothes. You got food to eat and people to talk to ya. But, that wasn’t enough. Was it? You wanted what the Duke has. Thing is, Finlay, the things that he most values ain’t things you’ll ever have.”

“Oh, I see. Love and family and all that rubbish. I can do without a screamin’ babe to keep me up nights. I’d sooner die.”

“And you will.” Gamilla nodded, walking forward so that she was standing over the man.

“So, that’s it?” Finlay growled. “You come to kill me?”

“No.” Gamilla smiled. “I come to see to it that you stay alive for a long, long time.” From the pocket of her apron, Gamilla withdrew a small earthenware vessel and a leather pouch.

“What’s all that?”

“You’ll see.” Gamilla sighed. “In fact, might be the last thing you ever see.”



Did you miss chapters 1-173? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 175.


2 comments:

Dashwood said...

I hope she turns him into a Zombie.

Joseph Crisalli said...

That would be fitting.