Thursday, November 1, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 179




Chapter 179
To Keep 


I can’t, Sir.” Lennie shook her head.

“Why not?” Mr. Punch grumbled.

“If Orpha discovers that I’m staying in the main house, she’ll realize that I’m in allegiance with you and Dr. Halifax.”

“Lennie has a good point,” Robert sighed.

“But…” Punch frowned. “You’re kin. I can’t have ya sleepin’ out in the cold.”

“I appreciate that very much, Mr. Punch.” Lennie smiled. “I truly do. That you worry about my well being is very touching.”

“Well, o’ course I do. You’re part of the family.”

“His Grace is very quick to protect his own.” Robert nodded

“I see that.” Lennie nodded.

“If folk’ll let me.” Mr. Punch mumbled.

“Your Grace, I owe you an apology. I reacted very badly when first we met. Charles and Violet had already informed me that you are a fair, just, kind and gentle man, but I had already made up my mind that I was going to be dealing with someone who was just the opposite. The last years, I’ve dealt with nothing but treachery, deceit and cruelty. So, I’ve come to expect it. I realize now that there’s also still much kindness to be found in this world. I treated you quite shabbily and I deeply regret it.”

“Oh,” Mr. Punch shrugged. “I know how it is, I do. When I first took control of the body, I were distrustful of most folk—even my Robert from time to time, and he’s the one what was always my champion. Sometimes, when we got life kickin’ us down, we come to ‘xpect it from all sides. I like to ‘magine that such bad things exist to make the good things more easily seen.”

“You are, I think, the most sensible person I’ve ever met.” Lennie nodded.

“Ain’t no wonder folk say I’m mad. Humans don’t know what to do with sense.” Mr. Punch giggled. “Here, I got puppets. You wanna see ‘em?”

“I’d like that very much,” Lennie smiled. “But, not just now.”

“I s’pose.” Mr. Punch shrugged. “Least come back to the house and say good night to Colin and Dog Toby.”

“Dog Toby?”

“He’s His Grace’s terrier.” Robert clarified.

“Ah.” Lennie nodded. “I wish that I could. I look forward to getting to know my nephew and…well, and Dog Toby. However, I’d best not be seen going into the castle with you.”

“Where you gonna go?” Punch asked. “Wouldn’t make sense for you to go to the cottage. Since ‘Ellen’ knows you already been found there, she’d wonder why you went back.”

“I think it would be best if Miss Lennie were to return to the stables.” Charles suggested.

“I concur, Charles.” Robert agreed.

“Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. She can’t sleep in a stable like them big dogs what we ride.” Mr. Punch shook his head.

Lennie looked at Robert, asking her question silently.

“His Grace fancies that horses resemble large canines.” Robert grinned.

“Oh—in a way.” Lennie nodded.

“Lennie,” Punch continued. “You’ll catch your death staying in a stable—and in this weather. That rain is pourin’ down terrible hard. We was lucky to make it here to this arbor before we was soaked to the skin.”

“Miss Lennie will also catch her death if ‘Ellen’ and Johnny Donnan spot her anywhere else.” Charles shook his head.

“I…I…just don’t like it.” Mr. Punch snorted.

“Nor do I, dear Punch.” Robert said softly. “However, it’s the only option. Furthermore, I don’t think we’ll be able to change Lennie’s mind.”

“You won’t.” Lennie answered.

“You do got Fallbridge blood in ya.” Mr. Punch sighed. “Least you’re usin’ that stubbornness for somethin’ decent and not for making a mess o’ life.”

“I want nothing more than for this torture to be over and for those who’ve made all of us suffer to be punished.”

“We all want that.” Robert nodded.

“And, so, we all must do whatever is necessary to see that end.” Lennie continued.

“I know it.” Punch sighed. “But, when does it stop really? Is there an end to it?”

“Yes, there must be.” Robert replied in a comforting tone.

“We must believe that there is.” Lennie added.

“I s’pose.” Punch muttered.

“Now, I really must get back to Orpha. If I’m any longer she’ll become suspicious.”

“You’re confident in your scheme, then?” Robert asked.

“I don’t suppose I’ve anything to do except be confident.” Lennie responded.

“That’s quite true.” Robert nodded.

“Just come to us—if anything, anything at all, goes wrong. Please.” Punch said quickly.

“I shall.” Lennie smiled.

“Should you need anything,” Charles spoke up, “There is a high brick wall on the east side of the service entrance. You can hide yourself there and leave a flower on the path. I’ll check for a sign religiously and will come to your aid forthwith.”

“Thank you, Charles.” Lennie replied. “You’ve all been so wonderful.”

Robert smiled bravely. “Lennie was correct in that we must believe that a good and just ending to this fiasco is nigh. We shall assuredly all look forward to it and, in the meantime, do all we can to assist one another. After all, each in our own way, we are family.”

“I’d long ago lost any faith in the idea that I’d once again be a part of a family.” Lennie sniffed.

“Well, you are now.” Mr. Punch cooed. “And, we aim to keep ya.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-178 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 180.


No comments: