Friday, November 9, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 186




Chapter 186
So Long 




Gamilla,” Robert said gently as he, Charles and Mr. Punch walked the rattled young woman through the vaulted passages of the lowest floor of Grange Molliner. “I think you should try to get some rest.”

“I need to return to Gerry.” Gamilla shook her head.

“You’ve been through a terrible ordeal.” Robert replied.

“And you been up all night.” Punch added.

“So have you, Your Grace. We all been up.”

“His Grace and I are about to send everyone to their beds.” Robert answered.

“But, Sir, all them guests’ll be up soon and wantin’ their breakfasts.”

“His Grace and I will make sure that the permanent staff here has their instructions. You needn’t worry about it.” Robert smiled. “Furthermore, the hired staff from the ball remains here and, I’m sure that they’d all welcome an extra morning’s wages.”

“But, what of young Master Colin?”

“I’ll stay with ‘im. I could use some time with me boy anyway.” Mr. Punch replied.

“Your Grace, you gotta be exhausted.” Gamilla sighed. “I…”

“Now, now,” Mr. Punch interrupted. “I ain’t nowhere near ‘xhausted. You know I don’t need so much sleep. But, the rest of ya, you do. I’ll stay in me room with Colin and Gerard and keep an eye on ‘em both. You ain’t gotta worry ‘bout a thing.”

“That woman is still out there.” Gamilla continued. “When she hears that Finlay’s done gone and killed himself, she’s gonna be out for blood, Sir.”

“Miss Lennie is with her.” Charles spoke up. “I’m sure she’ll give us plenty of warning as to what ‘Ellen’ intends to do next.”

“I don’t like none of it.” Gamilla muttered.

“I don’t neither, ‘Milla.” Mr. Punch answered soothingly. “But, ain’t no good in you getting’ sick and worn down. We all need ya. And, most of all, we want you to be well and strong for your own self.”

“Yes, Sir.” Gamilla nodded finally. “But, Sir, Mr. Speaight’s still gotta be sick from that poison Finlay have ‘im. Whose gonna organize the staff? And, with poor Mrs. North…gone…”

“I’ll do that.” Charles nodded. “As first footman, it falls upon me to take up in the place of the butler and housekeeper should need be. Georgie can assist me. His youth, in this instance, will prove invaluable.”

“It’s all so sad and terrible.” Gamilla pressed her hands together.

“You saw some terrible things these last few hours. For that, we’re truly sorry.” Mr. Punch said softly.

“In my life, Your Grace, I seen many awful things. For each one of ‘em, I seen somethin’ beautiful, too. So, I ain’t got no reason for to feel sorry for myself. I feel awful bad for all of you. For you gentlemen and for Mrs. Pepper and the others. Poor Georgie’s just a boy. He shouldn’t have had to…”

“But, that’s what life does to us,” Mr. Punch said. “Sure, in me own way, I’m but a babe. Just like Colin. I’m new to livin’ with humans, but I ain’t immune to their ways. I seen a lot from inside this body. And, in the times I was out, livin’ life for the Duke, before this last year, I got small tastes of both bitter and gloriously sweet things. We all gotta take both in their way. When ya got the bitter, ya hope for the sweet. I learned and so will young George Pepper. We all must learn each day. And, one thing I learned from me Chum here is that a body needs its rest to be at its most well. You gotta do that. Not just for you, but for us because we care ‘bout ya.”

“Now, go to your room, Gamilla and lock the door. Only open it for one of us. We’ll send Violet to your room and the two of you can stay together.” Robert spoke up.

“Thank you, Sir.” Gamilla inhaled. “Will ya tell Gerard…”

“If he’s awake, we’ll let him know you send your love.” Mr. Punch smiled.

Gamilla nodded.

“I’ll walk you to your room, Gamilla.” Charles volunteered.

“Thank you, Charles.” Gamilla sniffed. She looked up at Punch and Robert. “Sirs, I’m terrible sorry this ended so.”

“It was meant to be.” Robert shook his head. “We’re proud of you for what you tried to do.”

“Maybe I shouldn’t a’ done it.” Gamilla sighed.

“You only wanted what we all want,” Mr. Punch answered reassuringly.

“We will soon see an end to this ordeal.” Robert added. “And, we will return to our comfortable lives stronger than before.”

“I know we will.” Gamilla nodded.

“I know it seems that sometimes the bad never goes away.” Mr. Punch said. “Only we gotta remember that it really does. Sure, sometimes, it’s replaced with other horrors, but we gotta know that each bit o’ pain only lasts so long. We’re all lucky, we are. We got each other to help. This makes us all the more powerful.”

“Yes, Sir.” Gamilla replied.

“Come, then.” Charles said. “Let’s get you to your room.”

Punch and Robert watched Charles and Gamilla walk off toward the Servants’ Hall.

“Poor girl.” Punch shook his head.

“Her loyalty is to be admired.” Robert sighed, placing an arm around his companion’s shoulder. “Now, let’s get the others to their beds.”

“Right,” Punch nodded. He glanced over his shoulder once more to see Charles and Gamilla turn the corner in the passage.

Had he noticed the muddy footprints which had been tracked through the dim passage he would have stopped his friends then and there.



Did you miss Chapters 1-185 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 187.



No comments: