Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 195



Chapter 195
The Nice Chair



Gamilla!” Jenny shouted from her spot at Mrs. Pepper’s worktable in the kitchen of No. 65 Belgrave Square. “Come quick!”

“What is it, girl?” Gamilla rushed into the kitchen from the servants’ hall. “I’m busy. I got all this mendin’ for the baby and…”

“Look.” Jenny pointed.

Gamilla turned to her right, and through the decorative grating which served to separate the kitchen from the service stairs, Gamilla saw two familiar feet, painfully and slowly trudging down the stairs.

“Gerard Gurney!” Gamilla snapped. “What you doin’?” She rushed out of the kitchen and into the passage. With her hands on her hips, she glared up the staircase to a clearly out of breath, and sheepish, Gerard.

“I was hungry.” Gerard smiled boyishly.

“Well, I’m all kinds o’ glad that you’re hungry, Gerry, but ain’t no good you comin’ down all them stairs! Just think—you done come down from the attics! That’s five flights! You wanna pop your side open and bleed to…” She stopped, shaking her head. “Well, you done it now.” Grumbling, she trotted up the stairs and gingerly put her arm around Gerard’s waist, helping him down the rest of the way.

“Don’t know what I’m gonna do with you.” Gamilla sighed when they’d reached the passage.

“I do.” Gerard winked.

“Not yet, I ain’t.” Gamilla shook her head. “Can’t believe you done dragged yourself all the way down here just cuz you was hungry. Don’t ya know I was gonna bring ya somethin’ after I done fed Master Colin?”

“Gamilla,” Mrs. Pepper called out from the larder, wiping her hands on her apron. “The boy was lonely more than he was hungry. Now, let’s get him by the fire in the nice chair.”

Gamilla frowned, but did as Mrs. Pepper said.

As she helped Gerry to the chair which was usually reserved for Mrs. Pepper, she whispered. “Was ya lonely, my sweet man?”

“A little.” Gerard replied. “I feel useless. Charlie’s doin’ everything for the masters. I’ve not seen him all day as he’s havin’ to do my work as well as his. You got your duties. Even George is doin’ some of my work.”

“Poor boy.” Gamilla said softly. “Didn’t mean to be harsh with ya, but…”

“You worry.” Gerard smiled.

“I do.” Gamilla sighed as she helped him into the chair.

“I missed bein’ down here with everyone. Here, maybe I can polish some boots…”

“Not a chance,” Mrs. Pepper snapped as she brought a small plate of biscuits to him. She set the plate on a footstool near Gerard. “You got my support comin’ down here, Gerry, but no one’s gonna let ya lift a finger ‘til Dr. Halifax says you’re ready.”

“Where is Dr. Halifax?” Gerard asked. “I didn’t see anyone upstairs.”

“His Grace and the Doctor have gone to the palace to see Their Majesties.” Mrs. Pepper replied proudly. “They’ll be back for luncheon and I’ve no doubt His Grace will be ravenous. So, I gotta go make sure luncheon is ever-so nice for ‘im. Now, you eat your biscuits and…” She pointed. “Georgie left some of them awful things he reads in the basket there. You might look through ‘em.”

“Nah.” Gerard shook his head. “I don’t read so well.”

“And you think Georgie does?” Mrs. Pepper laughed. “There’s pictures in ‘em. Go on. I’ll peek in on ya now and again.” She looked at Gamilla. “Now, I know you want to stay here with Gerard, but Master Colin’s bound to be hungry. I don’t want to tell you what to do, my dear, but with Mr. Speaight still abed…”

“I know, Mrs. Pepper.” Gamilla smiled.

“The baby ain’t by himself, is he?” Gerard asked.

“No, no.” Gamilla laughed. “Miss Molliner is with him. They’re playin’ with Master Colin’s soft toys and Dog Toby.”

“Miss Molliner?” Gerard raised his eyebrows.

“Oh, sure.” Gamilla smiled. “You didn’t know. Miss Lennie. She’s takin’ the Duke’s family name. It was His Grace’s idea.”

“But, she ain’t a Molliner.”

“No, but she ain’t really a Fallbridge neither—cuz she’s…well, ya know. Her situation. His Grace was very kind to suggest she take his name.” Gamilla explained.

“He’s a fine man, our master.” Mrs. Pepper grinned. “So generous.”

“Tell me, is she nice? His Grace don’t have much luck with sisters.” Gerard asked.

“Seems nice enough.” Mrs. Pepper shrugged. “If not timid. But, she’s had a rough time of it. She’s ever-so polite, this one. Kind of funny. As timid as she is, she’s got a peculiar strength to her. She don’t suffer cruelty. Speaks her mind in a polite way, but makes sure folk know if she thinks somethin’s unfair. Seems devoted to the folk she thought were her kin and also seems to truly respect His Grace and Dr. Halifax. I look to Dr. Halifax, see. I figure if he’s got his back up, we should, too. But, he seems at ease around her, and that’s good enough for me. We all know he ain’t gonna let no one near His Grace or Master Colin what’s gonna do ‘em harm. But, I seen them talkin’—the doctor and Miss Molliner—out in the garden. They looked friendly enough—like a man chats with his spouse’s sister: polite, but easy.”

“Dr. Halifax always knows what’s what.” Gerard nodded. “Maybe we’ll finally have some peace in the house.”

“Let’s pray we do.” Mrs. Pepper smiled.

“Where’s everyone else?” Gerard asked.

“Like we said, Mr. Speaight’s still ailin’. Ya saw Jenny in the kitchen…”

“Where she ought to be choppin’ them onions…” Mrs. Pepper said loudly. “And not listenin’ at the pass-through.”

From the kitchen, a clatter of pots showed that Jenny had heard.

“Ol’ Hutch drove the masters’ to the palace. Vi is up in Miss Molliner’s room makin’ room for all them new gowns the Duke ordered for her.” Gamilla continued. “Charlie’s somewhere up there tendin’ to the masters’ things. Ethel’s in the scullery finishin’ the breakfast things and talkin’ to herself like she does and Georgie’s…” Gamilla squinted. “Where’s Georgie?”

“My boy is with Charlie.” Mrs. Pepper said with a mother’s pride. “He’s puttin’ the Duke’s collars in them lovely leather cases.”

“Oh.” Gerard nodded.

“Don’t worry, Gerry.” Mrs. Pepper smiled. “Let me finish up my meringues and I’ll come and have a lovely chat with ya over a cupper.”

“Thanks, Mrs. P.” Gerard grinned.

“I gotta go.” Gamilla glanced up at the clock. “Can’t have a hungry boy up there.” She looked with concern at Gerard.

“I’ll be all right, ‘Milla.” Gerard said sweetly. “Don’t fret.”

“Honey, I’m gonna…” Gamilla paused and glanced at Mrs. Pepper, not wishing to speak so intimately in front of the cook.

“Oh…” Mrs. Pepper winked. “My meringues…” With that, she hurried off, giggling under her breath.

“I’m gonna have to stay in the nursery ‘til luncheon.” Gamilla said quickly.

“I know.” Gerard nodded. “You can’t stay with me all day. You’re the new nurse. I’m proud of ya.”

“I know, but…”

“Now, ‘Milla.” Gerard shook his head. “Master Colin needs his Gamilla.”

“So does my Gerard.”

“Mrs. P. will look after me. My sweet, I just couldn’t stay in that bed any longer. Lookin’ at them same four walls, seein’ Charlie’s empty spot, thinkin’ ‘bout you, wonderin’ what was goin’ on down here. At least down here, folk will pass by me, say a few words. I can see what’s goin’ on in the house. Feel like I’m part of it.”

“But…”

“I won’t get up from this chair ‘til Mrs. P. tosses me out. I’ll look through George’s books. I’ll watch the fire and smell the cookin’. With Ethel, Jenny and Mrs. P. down here, ya know I ain’t gonna get away with nothin’.”

“I only want ya to heal up well so we can…” Gamilla whispered.

“And, I will.” Gerard replied.

“I just gotta go.” Gamilla shook her head.

“Ya sure do. Now, go feed that baby so he can grow as strong and handsome as his papas.”

Gamilla nodded.

“Gamilla…” Gerard began.

“Yes?”

“Well, it’s just…”

Gamilla smiled.

“I love you,” Gerard whispered.

“Oh,” Gamilla’s eyes filled with tears. “I love you, too, you impossible, stubborn, wonderful…” She giggled, putting her hand over her mouth. And, then, she rushed from the servants’ hall to go feed Colin.

Gerard leaned into the “nice” chair and smiled broadly. For the first time in days, he finally felt at home.





Did you miss Chapters 1-194? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 196 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square.


 

4 comments:

Darcy said...

Another beautiful chapter! Your dialogue makes the characters come to life.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you very much, Darcy!

Matt said...

I agree, Joseph. This is another great chapter. I love how fully fleshed out all of the characters are. I really feel like I know them and their unique personalities. What's also enjoyable is the way you structure each chapter. It reads like scenes in a film or television show, cutting from each pairing or group in their own subplots, but keeping the theme going. I always love these quiet, romantic scenes with Gamilla and Gerard and Punch and Robert. I especially love the relationship of Punch and Robert. Both of your romantic pairings with the main characters of Punch and Robert and the supporting characters of Gerard and Gamilla are unconventional and daring for the time but you don't dwell on it. Both couples know that most will not accept them and they address that without letting it stop them from loving each other. Its a really good message especially for younger people who may be in the same boat now. That's something that's very important to me. From a storytelling point, the sweetness and intimacy are a great contrast to the action and intrigue of other chapters and it keeps the story emotionally interesting. You also have the young trio of the staff Ethel and Jenny and George for comic relief, but manage to tie them into the emotional and action plots too. Characters like Mrs. Pepper and now maybe Lennie are good reliable anchors and can keep the story going in amusing ways. Pitting them against your bad guys they are equally weighted. Your bad guys are really evil without being cartoonish and it makes the reader wonder why they are the way they are. That's also something you do well is giving your bad guys reasons for being bad. Finlay was an abused outsider. Ellen was mistreated in the workhouse and I look forward to finding out why the baron is so strange. Even crazy Roger has an appealing humanity to him and knowing that he was thrown over a tower by his lover gives him a good backstory and explains his strangeness. The story is really good. I know you didn't ask for a review or anything but I actually had a little extra time today for a change and took about an hour to go back and reread some chapters. I just want to thank you for everything you do for all of us who come to this site every day looking for a break and some escape from a hectic day. You have given us a very sweet gift. Sorry for being so long. I have spent some time lately doing some historical work and the things I have learned from you have been really really helpful so I am very grateful.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Matt, I am most honored by your kind words. Thank you most sincerely.